Little bass wont bite

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by bigbobbyjones, Aug 22, 2020.

1. bigbobbyjones

bigbobbyjones Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Name:
    Bobby
    de

#1 bigbobbyjones, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,818
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In my experience, smaller bass definitely eat chunk bait.. little pieces of shrimp or mackerel fillet on a size six or four hook might get them

3. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,218
    They are seeing something they don't like. What pound line and how are you rigging your senkos? Does the pond get a lot of pressure. If so they have probably seen 100s of senko. Try downsizing your line or use a fluorocarbon leader. Maybe try a bait that doesn't get fished much there. Also if you can see them they most likely have seen you and will get real skittish especially if the fish get a lot of pressure. I personally don't waist time on fish I see unless I am targeting beds. You could always go with the dropshot for the smaller fish. It does get bit pretty consistently some guys just get bored with it but for someone new it should produce. Good luck.

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,102
    2 ideas:
    1. Take a 4" slim Senko, cut in half, wacky hook with a small hook (#8 bait holder would work), throw out and let it sink all the way to the bottom, then let it sit for about 1 minute, barely twitch, let it sit some more and barely twitch. If you can see the bass, don't twitch until the bass starts to swim away. They feel vibrations so they will know that it is twitched without having to see it.
    2. Take the same half of a Senko, put on a drop shot wacky style, split shot is enough weight. Throw out and don't even more it, just wait, semi slack line. I used this method on a small pond once that had been mostly drained and refilled, was full of small bass and got 75 in one morning a few years ago, might even be the same pond you are at. Big baits didn't work that day.
    3. Float tubes rule for small ponds. Getting the bait right next to or in the tules really helps. Fish are a lot less cautious in tules than in open water.

Most fishermen move their soft plastics too much. Patience works on bigger bass too. 6 pound test is more than enough for small fish, if you have a trout rod with 4 lb, that would be even better. Putting a worm in their face was the right idea, twitching is where you went wrong.

Gulp sandworms in 2" pieces fished the same way would work too. Half of a 4" Roboworm would work. Some Smelly Jelly scent rubbed on the worms could't hurt either, flavor not critical, shrimp flavor will work. Don't overthink color, not as important as bait size, line test or how you present the bait.

If you never knew fish could get skittish around humans, you never fished for wild trout (or maybe never caught any). Carp are also very skittish fish, makes them hard to catch. But fish mainly notice movement so minimize that. And a float tube is often less noticed by trout than a person on the shore is noticed from my experience. Even with a tube, you have to be subtle in flipper movement not to spook the fish.

Finesse, finesse, finesse

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +700
    My new thing is small flies on a tenkara rod for accurate casting and have been doing great.

The small bass from my experience tend to be very aggressive. I find that when I fish slow, like dragging a texas rigged worm or working a drop shot like I would for "normal" bass, I will not get bites. You need quick jerking movements. If they are in the 8-12inch range, I love a small jerk bait. My wife can get lots of bites with a mini jig or power worm on a small jig head