LIVE BAIT

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by jeffbdice, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jeffbdice

jeffbdice Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SHOULD YOU FISH LIVE BAIT? ANY PRO'S/CONS? WHATS YOUR OPINION ON IT? I PERSONALLY LIKE TO FISH LIVE BAIT OCCASIONALLY BUT ARTIFICIAL SURE DOES SATISFY ME MORE. LET'S HEAR WHAT U THINK GUYS.

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,270
    I don't care what anybody wants to fish. I like to fish with artificial baits and lures about 95 percent of the time for fresh water fishing. Easy to keep plastics and hardbaits ready and waiting for each fishing trip and more fun and rewarding to be a bigger part of the presentation with. I'll often fish live worms and crawlers like an artificial worm whenever I use them, usually for panfish, catfish and trout.

3. fishinggod22

fishinggod22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    live bait can be great and i use shiners once in a great while, but i fish plastics 95 percent of the time.

4. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    I agree 100%. I could practically just put my name on your post. I have almost no desire to fish live bait for bass, the only thoughts of it that cross my mind are from reading Bill Murphy's book.

If bait fishing is somebody else's thing, I'm really not going to tell them what to do and what not to do. But for me, I'd rather do it on my own terms.

Trout and panfish, I'd rather catch them on artificials (if I fish for them at all) but will use bait at times. Fishing for cats, not much of a choice usually.

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,079
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Live bait is really good for the kids when you take them fishing. Even if the fishing is slow they get to play with the bait fish or worms. Still fun for them.

However, I really do like a Jumbo Shiner in the winter time at Otay. I landed a 13 lbs bass on one a couple year back.

6. bassace00

bassace00 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i think the best part of bass fishing is presenting your plastics,cranks,blades etc to look like the real deal. it makes you feel more accomplished when you fish artificial baits. throwing a shiner out is way to easy the shiner is doing all of the work for you. if there was no such thing as artificial baits i probably wouldnt fish nearly as much.

7. Largemouth

Largemouth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Bait and wait then catch a tan. Not for me unless im on the ocean. With bass fishing being so competitive, I choice to participate in catching the fish. I just cant respect anybody who uses bait then says they are a serious bass angler. Like most of the folks here it took years of practice and not catching to learn how to use an artificial lure. But that's how you fall in love.
    Bait has it's place right next to the kids menu. But to each there own. I also feel very strongly that any records including the W.R should only be rewarded to those that use artificial lure's ! Its almost like downloading a report from the internet then turning it in as your own, without actually doing any work and realizing the skill needed to better yourself.

Warning *just my opinion*

8. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Artificals 95% of the time. I use nightcrawlers for trout sometimes.

9. fishinggod22

Ratings:
    +0
    As i said, i do use shiners occasionally: meaning about 3 times a year: but i would have to agree with Largemouth in that a world record on live bait is rediculous!!! your not presenting the bait, the bait is doin all the work. Live bait fishin isnt a talent, talent is presenting the perfect artificial at the perfect time with the perfect presentation and being rewarded. just my 2 cents

10. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    I reduced my own Fish Reports on this website due to Live Baiters.

I dont care if people use live Bait for Bass but I am certainly not going to make it easier for them to find the fish when using live bait.Seen way to many places trashed around spring time when they come out of the woodwork.

11. fishinggod22

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing cause you dont want them to bring live bait to your key spots??? if thats why that makes perfect sense.

12. bassace00

bassace00 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    not to mention that shiner fishermen usually hook the fish in the throat=less healthy fish and more dead fish. shiner fishermen are not true bass anglers!!!

13. Hepe Tepe

Hepe Tepe Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I fished today. I used carolina rig, jigs, wieghtless texas and live bait. Caught fish on all and had an alright day in three hours. All fish were hooked in the lip and all were released. Some of those bass even got a real meal not just some rubber and steel. I could have caught more two pound males than I even care to think about, but I didnt. I could have launched the boat and burnt shore looking for a big fish and more than likely would have been successful but insted tubed around for a little workout just because I wanted to. I think everybody should have to use lures that do not work and in the worst of conditions to prove themselves bass worthy. The fish I catch are and will not be fish you catch so deal with it.

14. lildanny

lildanny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think its cool for kids and for those who don't fish for sport (hope that doesn't make anyone mad) its just so rewarding when u work for that fish and land it! Knowing that's all you and not the live bait doin the job for u!

15. h82sink

h82sink Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I personally don't bait fish, but I don't think the use of live bait makes you less of an angler at all. Heck I've even seen the "pros" on TV use live bait. As long as people are using LEGAL live bait and not store bought goldfish, bluegill, and stuff like that, I don't care what they fish with. They still have to present the bait and locate the fish. While artificial baits may be a bit harder, I don't think of someone as a lesser species for fishing live bait. Perhaps my advanced age allows me to get past the bravado of youth and see fishing for what it is, fishing. Nothing more, nothing less.

16. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Bill Murphy......Bob Crupi.....Danny Kadota.....any of these names ring a bell? Some of the best big bass fishermen ever to wet a line. All fished, or still do fish, live crawdads on a regular basis and have taken HUGE fish that way. Also three of the most well respected men in the bass fishing community. Try telling them that live bait fishing is too easy. Try reading Bill Murphy's book. Live bait fishing, just like sight fishing, flipping, jig fishing etc. can become an art form in the right hands. I get real tired of the "Holier Than Thou" attitude taken on by those who don't care to fish live bait. It makes you feel like a better fisherman by only using lures? Good for you! Think it's too easy to fish shiners? Then don't! I don't fish live bait, I enjoy the challenge of fishing lures. If someone wants to fish live bait, great. As long as they stay within the regulations of the DFG. If people want to catch and release fish on live bait, simply use circle hooks. That will eliminate a lot of the deeply hooked fish. If someone wants to take their fish home, that they caught on live bait? Just keep your 5 fish that measure over the lake minimum.

Guys, bottom line is every fisherman is different. Some prefer to fish one way, some another. NO ONE is right or wrong. NO ONE has the right to tell someone else that they are right or wrong because you may not agree with the way they are fishing. Fish how you want and don't worry about how other fishermen perceive you. Just do it legally.

17. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    I also disagree with the idea of a world record not being legit if it's caught on live bait. Like most of the people on here, I CHOOSE not to bait fish, but in choosing you have to recognize that others have the right to choose as well. The record is not a "artificial-caught" record, it's just a record. Until they make separate categories for bait and lure-caught fish, a WR bass caught on bait will be legit, as long as it is caught legally. I am pretty certain that nobody on this board would catch a WR if they suddenly decided that they were willing to use live bait when they weren't before.

18. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,595
    A modest proposal or two: Lure fishermen should be banned, or restricted to fishing in water tanks where they can pay fees to fund cleanup. The overwhelming majority of trash along local creeks consists of lure packages, which far outnumber styro worm containers, hook packs, and everything else associated with bait fishing. Braid and all Yamamoto baits should also be banned, due to their impact on the environment and bass fisheries, respectively. If artificial lures are allowed, they should only be equipped with a single barbless circle hook. Come to think of it, all commercially manufactured line should be banned. Fishermen should be required to make their own line, by braiding human hair, which is biodegradable. Of course you don't have to use your own hair; I DO support the commercial sale of armpit hair shorn from French women. Not only is it plentiful and known for its wiry strength and fast growth, but it would provide income to a whole nation of people who are virtually unemployable. Boats should also be banned, as they give fisherman an unfair advantage. Do we really even need to talk about electronic fishfinders and GPS? The sale of all reels, except 1940's style knucklebuster baitcast reels, must end. Maps and charts that show underwater topography? Also banned. Polarized glasses? Outta here. And of course, the big one...books. All fishing books that might give a fisherman any information about how to catch fish should be gathered up and burned. I am still undecided as to whether it would be better to destroy television, newspapers, radio, and the internet, or just eliminate fishing shows, websites, and weather reports. But one thing is clear; no conversations should be allowed inside tackle shops or at boat landings. Rain gear, handwarmers, hats, sunscreen, waders, internal combustion engines, landing nets..gone. Each of these allows a person to fish longer, cover more water, learn more, and gain an unfair advantage over the fish.
    And of course, using live bait just isn't sporting, but I guess it's okay for children and beginners.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. bassman22

bassman22 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i agree with largemouth 100%. i know crawdad guy has some serious skills and he is the only live bait guy i respect and could learn something from.

and fishin dad i know exactly what you mean.

20. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +202
    Name:
    Chris
    Well said!

The attitude is repulsive and analogies are borderline retarded. I fish primarily artificials along side my father who is a total live bait head. Never in my life would I think my fish was better than his because of the bait he chose. You guys are ridiculous! "Oh, the guy who catches a WR shouldn't be allowed to submit" WHAT?!?!?

Seriously, who are you people?

"We're true anglers!"

Yeah right.

You're the man, Moose!