Lj kelp tomorrow in 17 ft bluefin

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Gannonc13, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Gannonc13

Gannonc13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Buddy has a 17 foot bluefin with a 50 horse on it. We finally have confidence in it after taking it to the Bay a few times and some lakes to get a feel for it. Wanting to hit la Jolla and see if we can't get into some decent fish. I am familiar with checking conditions pertaining to kayaking but what's the best way to judge conditions leaving mission Bay? Any advice from those with more experience on of tomorrow is a ok day to give it a go or not?

2. Valco14

Valco14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167
    Check San Diego Marine forecast for wind and swell.

3. Gannonc13

Ratings:
    +69
    It says
    SAT Wind W 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 2 to 3 ft at 12 seconds.
    How bad is that wind going to ruin the day in a 17 ft aluminum?

4. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176
    Keep mind that wind is expected to ramp up by the evening. Sunday will be a no go. My boat is a 19 feet W/A cuddy and has weight. So, no issue for me with 10 to 15 on the wind and seas at that interval and size. Your boat should handle it but I would pass. Why not launch out of SI and hit PL Kelp? If you get bounced around then you can just head back and fish the bay. LJ is a longer run and it could be a little bouncy. Hard to predict with Spring. You could easily start the morning with the previous evenings wind conditions and accompanying hang over. What you need to worry about are winds out of the South at 15 or higher. Mixed seas at an interval tighter then 9. Then, it gets nautical.

John

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,571
    15’ cc here and I wouldn’t mess with that wind. Not great LJ fishing yet anyways to be tempted imo.

6. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,799
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    The mouth of the bay can get hairy when the swell is big. We have timed the sets on the way out and ridden down the face of cresting waves on the way back in a few times. Plus there really isn’t a lot of room between those jetties when boats are coming and going at the same time. Shelter Island is more of a pain but a safer route to the ocean in a smaller boat. Plenty of fish off Pt. Loma.

7. Gannonc13

Ratings:
    +69
    Main reason not point Loma is I have never had any good luck there at all. Not to say it can't be done. It's just going to la Jolla gives me the hope of a early wsb or a home guard but I have absolutely no past experiences or really knowledge at all of the plk. Definitely attractive how close it is, and the ability if stuff is tough too just cruise in and go for a halibut in the Bay is nice as well. Got any tips for plk?

8. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176
    PM sent.

9. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,682
    how did it go....

10. Gannonc13