LJ south of Sea Wall and Casa Cove

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by doccod, Feb 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doccod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    Anyone fish this area? The reef south of Casa Cove used to be my prime spot for reef fishing. There were some very nice deep “channels” in the reef that cut through there that had some nice size Cabezon and Opaleye in there. On a minus tide you could get out to a deep pool that had some big fish in there. There was a bluff you could fish to the north on high tide if you could lift your fish high out of the water, I think it’s called Whale Point now since my last visit there. I came back to visit in 2019 and noticed a complete lack of the the huge colonies of mussels on the reefs. I also frequently fished the surf north of Scripp’s pier to Blacks beach and had some amazing catches there. I was born in San Diego in 1958 and my father moved there because of the great fishing. I was fishing the reef’s in LJ and Mission Bay when they still had wood bridges. And the cattle boats of coarse. I still lurk here because I miss San Diego although I wouldn’t move back to CA. I guess I’ve just lurking but live vicariously though this forum. Tight lines guys.

2. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,643
    Boat:
    Nitro
    I'm glad you moved and wont be back. More real estate for us locals to fish with out somebody crowding us. Tell me, How is ice fishing?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,198
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have posted a few fish from that area, as I have from almost anywhere along the two miles of open shoreline in LJ, whether on point La Jolla or from the first few rocks north of Palomar St, and everywhere in between. How the mussels fare is largely up to wave action and how much sand is/was on the shoreline. The so called "fish rock" at WNS is a prime example. If it has a thick bed of mussels, the water has been somewhat calm, if it's nearly barren, we have been having brutal storms...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,149
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    surf fishing north of the pier isnt allowed up until that trail at blacks beach. Black's beach can be amazing with the right structure. Had some 15+ fish in two hour sessions last summer when there were these crazy holes all around. Corbina heaven, though none of them were huge.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. doccod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    Well I will be back. San Diego was my home and a lot of my buddies still live there. We all pitch in and a get a private charter every few years. I’m having blizzard conditions here right now and can tell you having four seasons isn’t bad. A drenched thunderstorm in the summer is very nice.

6. doccod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    Well I know you have a lot of experience on the water there. I lived there 39 years and never experienced a lack of mussels there until overharvesting. Even during the the early 80’s storm that took out the end of Crystal Pier. There were still significant mussel beds there.
    I was there on the reef with a friend back in the early 90’s. Minus tide, A group of people descended on the tide pools, scraping every living thing off the tidepools, even the barnacles. Fortunately the life gard at the sea wall saw them and called fish and game.
    Mussel beds show heath of a reef, storms do diminish them, but not elimimate them from a reef.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,198
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I dunno. Having fished there heavily, I have some suspicions.. I have never seen a person harvest a mussel, or really hardly anything, honestly, from the whole legal shoreline. A few calicos, sheep, a number of opaleye, a few mussels for bait and chum (myself only, I might add). Otherwise, I haven't witnessed harvest, seriously, of nearly anything. Even divers I see only shoot a couple perch or grab a random lobster. I know yellowtail and WSB get shot from shore based divers, but damn if I have really seen much in that department. I am not saying mussel harvest doesn't happen, only, if it does, I have not seen it ever. I do know the DFG watches that stretch of coastline often with the binos before they ever approach me

8. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,643
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Why did you leave? I seen snow once

9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,294
    They do indeed watch you from a distance.. By the time a DFG warden walks up on you, he’s already been watching your routine for the last 30 mins or so. Then he’ll ask you obvious questions that he already knows the answer to..

10. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Name:
    Phil
    100% they only walk up on you after watching if theres suspicion though. I firmly believe they recognize the regular cpr guys they never have issues with and just keep scanning, I don't even get checked anymore.