Lobster bait reviews

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by MeLoves2fish, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    I hope there are some wise veterans who read through these threads and are willing to help spread some useful information.

LOBSTER FISHING locations and LOBSTER BAIT any of you sdFish users have tried.

So we all know about fish heads, chicken, full fish, squid, guts, soaked salt chum....and.. any others? What works best, Frozen or fresh? Ive tried all of these seperatley and little mixtures (i tried to put a buffet line together in my bait cage lol) I personally know frozen stays together a little longer as it thaws, but I've caught more bugs using fresh bait.

Thoughts? While we are at it... What's worked best for you? Day time or night time? High tide versus low tide, does it even matter?

Please feel free to add anything else interesting or useful.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback and a good thread to read through

2. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    Forgot to mention I fish off the pier. OB is my best spot so far.

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,450
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The baits I cannot keep langos off of are the benthic organisms.. Ghost shrimp in particular get ATTACKED, but good luck keeping then off mussel, market shrimp or clams.. If you could make ghost shrimp jello, every lobster within ten yards would go nuts..

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    I've never caught a lobster off anything other than ocean organisms: chicken, beef, canned food, and all the other weird stuff it says to use online. You can catch plenty of rock crabs if they're in the area on these kinds of meats, but I've never caught lobster with them.

Baits I've caught lobster on: macks, any sort of fish carcass, squid, shrimp, etc. Best bait is some sort of fish. Mostly because they stay in the bait cage better. I haven't noticed a difference between thawed, frozen, or fresh if I'm using macks. However, I've noticed that I catch more lobster when I have much more bait in the trap. Recently, I completely fill the bait cage with as much bait as I can.

Night time/sunset is best, however you can catch them on overcast and rainy days.

Tide for me depends on the pier. Some areas can be good at low, some at high.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    Thanks so much! I will definitely look into making and trying out the "jello".

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    You're awesome! I appreciate your input. This is my first lobster season and I caught my 5th last night. I just feel like there's so many more "tricks or tips" I could try. I'm definitely stuffing the **** out of my bait cage tonight :emoji_fingers_crossed:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,450
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    No idea how you could prove the quantity of ghosts in the mix, might be easier to use market shrimp (ie no limit)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,111
    Welcome to the forum!

5th lobster or 5th Legal lobster?

As for my opinion, I’m 80% a frozen Mackerel guy. I catch them before hand. One thing I don’t hear people doing is slice gashes in each Mack on both sides. Since I do things in 3’s, specifically 3 gashes/slices on each side of each Mack. I stuff the crap outta each cage where the Mack noses and tails are sticking out. Some Macks are too long so I cut them to size.

I pre-load my cages and tubes and keep them in the freezer. Then clip or zip-tie them to my traps. Then load them for the session. So, realistically the macks are starting to de-thaw for 1 to 1.5 hours before a trap is dropped.

This season and this season only I have frozen my Yellowtail and Yellowfin heads and carcasses. Because of their irregular size, I haven’t had the desire or opportunity to load these heads and carcasses. To be honest, the heads are bigger than the cages and I’d have to mostly defrost them to make them fit. Much easier to stuff macks so far.

I am curious, in the name of science and for ****es and giggles to see which frozen bait works best? YT, YF or Mack. I’ll let you know when the experiment happens.

I was listening to “Let’s Talk Hook Up” two Sunday’s ago and they had a special on Lobster Hoop Netting. They mentioned cat food as an attractant. I thought I’d throw that out there as I plan to give it a try as well.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,450
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I strongly suspect you would have great success with tuna heads wired to your trap and smashed up a bit.. If the fur bags would leave you alone...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    I've tried cat food. Stick to macks!!! It's messy and for me it flat out didn't work. My second hoop net was outfishing it with macks every single pull. Finally got frustrated and started using macks in the hoop net instead of cat food and started getting lobster and crab again in both nets. Also, last week the guy next to me was using canned cat food and didn't catch anything while I was pulling up shorts nearly every pull.

11. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    5 legals :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I appreciate your thoughts. You have an awesome setup being able to bait and freeze your cages. Do you hoop off a boat or pier? Yellowfin heads, those must of been great catches and I can picture those bugs going crazy over them. For ****s and giggles I've been experimenting with bait. No luck with anything frozen yet, but I have had luck with this dried fish my brother makes. My brother and mom make it to eat and I stole a few one night, stuffed them in my cage and caught my 2 biggest bugs. Lol. Then caught 3 more another night. BUT, no luck tonight. I just got in and bugs were dry. So actually I caught all my legal bugs using dried fish. I'm trying frozen macks tomorrow night.

Love to know how your bait experiment goes and please feel free to share any other info with me.

Thanks for all the great tips and ideas guys!!

12. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    Thanks for your input! I wont't be trying cat food, but i remember reading about poking holes in a tuna can and sticking the can in the bait cage, i might have to try that. Do you boat or pier fish? Any luck hooping lately?

13. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    I hoop off the piers. I went out last night and didn't catch any bugs. I caught 28 pounds of mackerel though, so I guess that makes up for it. I think I needed to pull more often though. I was doing 30 minute soaks, but when I pulled, I found some of my bait eaten with nothing inside. Might do 15 or 20

14. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,111
    Are you using bait cages or PVC bait tubes? That’s weird. Even with cages, if seals don’t rape them, I can use a cage for two trips....

15. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    I think phrased it improperly. My bait was chewed, but I didn't have any bugs in the net. When I'm with the wife, we fish two flat hoops and two conical hoops. 3/4 of the nets had chewed baits but the lobster seem to have eaten their dinner and ran. Ive never really had this issue before so it was strange.

16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,111
    I soak 20-30 minutes. Give or take. I’m not sure 10 more minutes means less bugs. In my experience it usually means more.

17. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    28lbs of mackies!! That's enough bait to catch a few dozen bugs lol. I went pier hooping the past two nights and had the same thing happen to me. My bait was definitely getting raided and not by the fur pups, but no bugs.

Is there such thing as giving too much slack on the rope? Maybe my rope is sitting on top of my net blocking the bugs from climbing in but not blocking the entire bait cage so bugs are able to reach parts of my bait. I know not enough slack on the rope can obviously be a problem if the net isn't at the bottom lol. The only two things I can come up with is 1-its just dry and no bugs. Or 2- I'm messing something up :emoji_thinking:

I'm going back out tomorrow to find some sign of life. Being dry two nights in a row is depressing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Rook

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +926
    As someone who has never (yet) dropped a hoop, I claim to not be an expert on this topic.
    But.....I had a good conversation this evening with a guy who has been throwing hoops all his
    Life locally ( and I would guess he was in his early sixties) and he swore that raw chicken legs.....
    The cheapest ones you can find hands down has always worked the best for him! And best in PVC
    Tubes not cages. So, when I finally get out on of these evenings to drop some hoops I am going to
    give that a try along with some of the sardines I have frozen..........

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    Two trips..? So you're able to save the bait you used for another night and still catch bugs? I'm definitely not an expert so i hope you dont mind me picking your brain. I've heard so much about how important oils from baits are when fishing for bugs. Have you found from your experience that it's better to change out bait to keep fresh after so many pulls? Or since you're able to use the same bait cage twice, does it not make a difference after all?

20. MeLoves2fish

MeLoves2fish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    G
    Thanks for that info! That's actually the first bait i ever tried and it didnt work too well. Maybe because i only put 2 baby legs in my cage lol! BUT, i will definitely give it another shot and the next time I will stuff the cage! Good luck when you get out there and let us know how it goes!