Lobster Fising off local piers

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by daygoVR6, Oct 8, 2013.

1. daygoVR6

daygoVR6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hope this isnt a repeat post - Im getting ready to embark on the season and go after lobster for the first time ever - since I dont have a boat Im going to give a pier or 2 a shot - just curious about a few things - what do you guys use for a longer rope for some of the taller piers - I was thinking rock climbing rope would work best since it withstands some abrasion against things but I could be wrong

does fishing with the high tide warrant more success vs low tide or is it 50/50 - I usually follow the tides when going after fish not sure if the same theory applies

this may be a stupid one - the hoop net it self - im assuming it lays flat on the ocean floor and the lobster surround your bait - after a while you pull up, the net surrounds the lobster and hopefully you have a couple

any tips about underwater tide movement/currents and keeping your net from getting tangled up around pilings?

thanks in advance

2. wanapasaki

wanapasaki New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    e-mail me @ wanapasaki@hotmail.com I'm here in San Diego and have 9 nets, no boat but think I may know a decent spot if you would like to join me

3. pkpunch

pkpunch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try for the first time this weekend too! Any additional tips as well, will be much appreciated. I will definitely be scouring the internet for more sources of information.

4. tavonwhite

tavonwhite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So are there no good piers for lobster hooping? I've been told Coronado and Shelter Island Piers are good but didn't have any luck last night. I've had some luck at sunset cliffs but a whole lot of legal lobsters. If anyone knows something that could help me please let me know.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to join you on lobster hoop netting if you are still in the game.

6. sdsurf

sdsurf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never hooped off a pier and would love to try. Anyone up for hooping? Mike - mgroblee@gmail.com

7. SDbugs

SDbugs Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanna join the party! I've hooped off OB Pier plenty of times. Caught some legals and tons of shorts. Remember it's only 2 nets off a pier or a 1 pole/1 net combo.

To kinda answer your questions, the ropes that came with my nets are plenty long for OB pier. And you basically want the nets to sit as flat and still as possible. If you have the rigid nets, the bugs should stay in once they're in. The flat ones obviously allow the lobsters to crawl back out. People normally do 10-20 min. soaks, then pull.

Anyone can message me if you want company!