Lobster Fleas?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by fishes, Oct 17, 2019.

1. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +202
    Name:
    Chris
    A buddy of mine caught a few keepers last night and when he broke the tail off one to clean, a few flea-like critters fell out. He's uncertain if they were in the cavity or tucked into a crevice out the outer shell. I tried googling but any response for bugs or fleas just turns up more about lobsters being referred to as bugs.

I'll update the post if he can get a photo.

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    A lobster with crabs. LOL!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    It was probably some sort of symbiotic relationship (I think that’s the word I’m looking for) like how remoras clean sharks and get a free meal out of it while also getting transportation, or how wolves kill deer and leave some of the remains for the vultures and hawks. That type of relationship. I doubt it’s harmful, if the lobster looked healthy and it’s going to be boiled or cooked anyway, I doubt it’s a big issue. This is what I found, the closest to what you described would be a ‘krill like amphipod’ which looks kind of like a sand crab

58FF357B-C442-4747-AD65-BB3514F48626.jpeg

#3 Robdog, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Geofish and I went lobstering last Friday. Dropped the first net of the string by 8pm. Had limits by 11:15. BOOM! However, when we pulled up the lobsters, many of them had little critters moving around on them when we pulled them up. Also, on some of our by-catch (which included 2 spotties, countless rays (thornback and stingrays), an octopus, multiple thorn sharks, and 2 crab species) there were parasitic (and/or) symbiotic critters moving around on them. We caught a huge spider crab (aka sheep crab) who's shell in and of itself was alive with worms, and other crazy little critters. It actually creeped us out to the point we didn't even want to touch it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,198
    Those crabs can get very nasty.