Lobster Regs - Did you know this?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by geofish, Oct 7, 2019.

1. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    So, we found an abandoned Hoop Net on Early Saturday morning. So I posted on BD and SDFish that I found it and claim it if you can identify the item and location.....

Well, a concerned BD’er sent me a PM saying I shouldn’t have mentioned we were out at 2am and that we were in violation......

Well, I called CDFW this morning and he is incorrect but we still messed up.

Here’s what I found out:

We fished Friday Night......We need to log what we caught per person for Friday night.

On Saturday, we start a new day. Write date, location, type of device and leave # Retained blank until we are done..... As long as each person doesn’t have in “their possession” and on their card for both days more than 7, your legal.....

Hope that makes sense? It’s not in the regs or I couldn’t find it. But once explained to me, it was totally logical and makes sense....PM me if you’d like me to explain in person....

Also remember the “Possession Limit” is indeed 7 per person “in your possession.” Please don’t argue this, but that also includes in your car and in your freezer at your house. If you gift them and no longer have them “in your possession” than you can get more——Technically. However, the person you gifted lobsters to must not have more than 7 in their possession........

I hope this helps and I explained it well....

7A2D7A76-0495-40A8-AA4F-1F7473F02138.png

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Yeah your post among others went downhill quickly on BD. There’ll always be a few who have no clue what they’re saying but can’t bear to be corrected and will give false info just to make themselves relevant, especially on BD. Thanks for this, makes it clearer now, I was never aware that after midnight it became a ‘new’ day on the card.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    I didn’t think I posted this in BD yet???? I need to edit this first.....or so I thought

4. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,514
    Ahhhhh good ole bloody decks , land of the keyboard gangsters

5. Tunakillerjoe1

Tunakillerjoe1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Has anyone applied for multi day permission to exceed a single day limit? Is it reasonable to do this if you are staying out pa
    So I see on the multi day form, "Trip duration-Must be continuous and extend for at least 12 hours on first day and last days of the trip Departure time must be noon or earlier and return must be noon or later". Also" the vessel cannot berth or dock within five miles of the mainland shore and all passengers must disembark at the return port stated above". It looks like it costs $6.44, and must be received 48 hours prior to departure. The approved copy must be posted on the vessel. Hmmmm...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Tunakillerjoe1

Ratings:
    +51
    Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    I guess I am still not clear on this, even if you have a multi day waiver, you still are only allowed 7 total for 2 days? Noting there are 56 lines on the report card, even at 1 tail eaten, that is still a lot of lobster eaten in a season! When was this changed, or is this the way it has always been? How does one track what was given away? Can I give them to my wife? It seems nutz, all they have to do is look at your report card and see more than 7 combined, and BAM! Good info, forces me to eat more lobster!

7. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    So Geo, if 2 people fished Friday night into Saturday morning, could you have 14 lobster per person if your card showed 7 caught between Friday start and 11:59 pm, and the other 7 were reported 12:00am to time off the water on Saturday? Just curious.

Disregard.... I just read what Tunakillerjoe1 wrote.

#7 Fomen, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I don't EVER post on BD. There are no rules of engagement on there. Signed up for a membership, got viciously attacked for asking a question (demeaned, insulted, cursed at, etc....), and never went back. No desire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Tunakillerjoe1

Ratings:
    +51
    Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    My impression from this thread is only 7 bugs, whole, may be in your posession. No 14 for 2 days, just 7 period. Seems crazy, most folks are probably not clear. I do not understand multi day stuff.

10. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Nope!

11. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +774
    Name:
    Tom
    Yea, doesn't matter how many days you fish for them, can't have more than 7 in your possession at any time. Bring helpers, give a few away, and you can catch more than 7. Just gotta record how many YOU keep. Honor system here, don't ruin it for the rest of us:emoji_grin::emoji_metal:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Yup, I learned that early on and in my lobster hunting. Glad someone told me, just like you are telling others. I always give some away to family and friends.

#12 Noms, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019