Local fisherman shamed for fishing near sea lions. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Surf, piers, & jetties' started by fishes, Sep 18, 2017.

1. fishes

fishes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Name:
    Chris
    Found the below post on Reddit over the weekend. From what I see, these two fellas are fishing in a legal area and doing absolutely nothing wrong. A couple of locals/tourists decide to go on a witch hunt and call any local authority and post to the San Diego sub-reddit in an effort to bust/publically shame these guys for "abusing" sea lions. Luckily a couple of folks chimed in and tried to clear things up by 1) pointing out that they are in a legal fishing area and 2) They are not intentionally hooking into sea lions and those sea lions are notorious for stealing bait and fish from fisherman.

If you guys have time, read the post, watch the video and let me know your thoughts. I've fished this area plenty of times and have only encountered one local that tried to tell me that what I was doing was illegal and wanted to see my license. I kindly told them this area is legal and if I could see their DFG badge, I'd happily show them my license.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/70kefd/there_are_currently_two_men_fishing_at_la_jolla/

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    People keep calling the harbor police on me for doing something legal. One of the locals was even caught lying to the police through video evidence but he never got introuble. Police just tells me that people in that area are uptight. I just know that theres a video of me on the web somewhere with messed up caption.
    My motto when i fish that spot now, "Mask on fk it mask on"

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. EncinitasWomp

EncinitasWomp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377
    Don't get me started on LJ. Looks like (from limited video) the guys weren't doing anything wrong if they were fishing in a legal area. Unfortunately, LJ is filled misinformed, misguided, ignorant locals and wanna be locals. These kooks have all but turned one of the most beautiful places in CA into a cesspool (literally) through policy and activism.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. agrazela

agrazela That Guy
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +941
    Boat:
    2000 Sea Hunt 172 CC
    PETA, pastors, the pretentious...

There's always someone out there wants to tell you how to live your life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    I would love to catch one..wonder what kind of setup needed?? They are real strong that I know from many encounters...what's the law do you have to cut line or can you haul em in and then release?? If I club it and claim self defense do you think it would stand in court....I have been messed with by them so many times...if I could just kick one in the *** and send it wriggling back to the water I would consider us even....I had to ***** slap one with a paddle one time....I have 6 masks lol....

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,134
    I'm sure the animal loving kooks are annoying. Luckily I haven't had to deal with one yet. With that said, these guys have brought a lot of this on themselves. Judging by the background it appears these guys are fishing off Point La Jolla, which is the border of the Matlahuayl SMR. Hell, the guy in the orange shorts might have even been casting into the protected area based on the direction he is facing. Whether they are fishing in a legal spot or not they are all still hugging the boundary, and that is just pointlessly asking for trouble from locals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    Grow a pair and as long as your legal fuukkem...I think local Indians should be able to hunt them...I would encourage it too....he'll let me bag a few I got my licenses....lol...I don't really care what people think...but that's me

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,294
    My wife was bit in the leg SCUBA diving in La Jolla vibe.......I had one rip my regulator out of my mouth.......

So if I died, would someone argue the seal was exercising its self defense rights......I did think about whipping out my dive knife after that. Luckily it didn't come back........hmmmmm.

Would PETA defend me in court.......NARPS!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,294
    Another time I was spearfishing in Casa Cove, which is just south of Children's Pool.....Um, shall we say Seal's Pool......

Parking is a ****** especially on the weekend. We parked out car In front of Children's Pool with the intention to walk South a hundred yards to enter Casa Cove. That day, the "Sea Shepherd " people were protesting in front of Children's Pool.......They were harrassing my son and I......The lifeguards ran to clear the way for us. I believe news crews filmed it, but I didn't follow up........We each had a Spear Gun and dive knives strapped to our legs....

Was this a violation of my rights to fish legally? A local came up to us as we were walking back to our car and said he filmed the whole thing, just in case, as we were in the right. He informed us, we should have entered in Children's Pool and hunted over at Casa Cove, which is legal, just to Frack with them..........Hmmmmm, next time?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,134
    Well congratulations to you. Clearly you have heavier balls that hang lower than my own.

Personally I don't see the point of fishing RIGHT NEXT TO a marine protected zone where all it takes is one errant cast, one strong current, or one DFG officer having a bad day to earn yourself a ticket. And I clearly don't see the point of fishing a legally ambiguous area that is full of bait stealing sea lions and annoying tourists, but my confusion must just stem from the fact that I'm clearly not endowed enough to understand it.

You boasted earlier about reeling sea lions to shore and clubbing them in the name of self defense. So I'm asking you to please notify us in advance the next time you plan on heading down to La Jolla to pound your chest at the tourists, and wrestle sea lions on the beach, because I would love to come and watch that.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,772
    Boat:
    3 too many
    I almost redirected this thread that way -points-.. No need.. Carry on..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. EncinitasWomp

EncinitasWomp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377
    The point is, we live in America. If stoned-trout or anyone else who is properly licensed wants to fish in a "legal" area, they have the right to do so without being harassed. Period.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  13. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    Fishing isn't just about you vs the fish. Its you vs weather, parking, crowds, ignorant irate locals/tourist, sea lions, etc. Its for the thrill of it, greater reward and satisfation. Thats why pro ski slopes have trees and jumps while the bunny slope is well... ya know.

Also stoned-trout never said that he did those things, he said that he'd "love to" and "if"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    What are the chances you could land a fish around a damn seal colony anyway?

Jim

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Cyborgstarfish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    People have nothing better to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +532
    I see a case of animal rights activism and racism. But that's just me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Hirame

Hirame FARMER
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,042
    it depends on what you're fishing for. I've never had bait or fish taken by sea lions at that spot

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Witness to that, WTG BTW! Just amazing.

Seals seems to be more docile than sea lions. Buddy had a half moon and a seal got to the fish during his reeling. Seal played tug of war for a few and then swam towards us and released the fish promptly, as if wanting us to toss the half moon further out so it can fetch and play again.

Don't mind the seals but just concerned that I'd snag it accidentally while throwing the deadly dick around, lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. fishes

fishes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Name:
    Chris
    This is the second time I've seen this referenced on the forum. Is this a lure type or an inside joke I'm missing? Too scared to Google "Deadly Dick" on my work computer. :emoji_fearful:

20. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    If thats the case, then you shouldn't go to worldstarhiphop and type wtf in the search box and watch the first video. :emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List