Local fisherman shamed for fishing near sea lions. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Surf, piers, & jetties' started by fishes, Sep 18, 2017.

1. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +675
    I kinda wanna find out how Brazilian cops search young suspects. Sounds juicy lol.

2. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Ditto.

3. Dane101

Dane101 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I caught a couple babies seals on 30lb test.Bet they learned a lesson.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,351
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Bounced or gaffed?

5. rana

rana Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Personally I was disappointed when the court ruled against the deed of gift that Mrs. Scripps gave the City allowing the Children's pool in perpetuity. San Diego is a rank, corrupt City in so many ways, has been since it's inception.

Seals we don't need, especially in that area and the businesses that so badly wanted them as a tourist draw are up to their ankles in seal and bird **** odors that are driving away clientele.

Seals are sinking the floats and any small skiffs in the water wherever they are allowed to congregate, this is a real big-time problem in NoCal. If they are protected due to numbers I would be amazed.

Many seal stories in San Diego that I will not go into in depth, teaser's: Chuck Chamberlain, owner/skipper of the Olde Ironsides had one that he picked-up at the islands as a pup. Used to follow him around, up to the bar where the skippers got drunk next to the sport docks where they would try and get it drunk.

After WWII and into the 1950's the sport docks, H & M and Point Loma (were the only two in existence in my knowledge) would sell tickets to frustrated deer hunters after deer season to go to the Islands and shoot seals. Off Pukey Point and the weather side of North Coronado there would be seals by the hundreds, some of which worked their way quite high up on the ledges and the hunters would take great glee in shooting the uppermost one's to watch them fall into the surf.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,547
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    Seal chum for better shark fishing....sign me up...I am not frustrated I got a deer last year

7. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Lol. That was near the Children's Cove in La Jolla, right? A few years ago my guy and I walked across the sand to get to that cave he calls Dead Man's and a marine mammal lumbered out of our way. When we climbed back up the stairs 2 women started calling us names and telling us that we should be ashamed of ourselves. We still laugh about it and we've nicknamed these busy bodies The Seal Nazis.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Larry M

Larry M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Name:
    Larry M
    Welcome back, haven't heard from you for awhile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Swimbait1

Swimbait1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82
    The worst thing about these sea lion protectors is that the have no knowledge of the true damage these over populated animals cause. I can't remember where I read it (I surf the Internet to much lol) but these sea lions are destroying the salmon population and could end up with a tag on their heads. Plus if it where me I would call the authorities my self as it is illegal to harass or impead on the actions of a legal fisherman the accuser might end up catching a case of their own for harassment

#49 Swimbait1, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Larry M

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Name:
    Larry M
    I posted an article from Pacific Coast Sportfishing earlier this month about them
    Seals vs Steelhead

11. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sea rats.

12. Larry M

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Name:
    Larry M
    Or as the coach and Fat Spottie call them, fur bags.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Never a lost a fish fishing on shore there

Edit: At least due to fur bags

#53 Fat Spottie, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    La Jolla. Let's be honest, it's a tourist trap and home to a bunch of old money individuals. As someone who has lived there their entire life, gone to school there, fished there, and played ball for the past 18 years, I can fairly say "park at your own risk".

The down town area of La Jolla is sustained by a couple of "unique" shops and sights which attract tourists. One of the sights is the seals. It dosent matter how stinky it is, how nasty it may look, everyone wants a close up with the seals, and it's succesful. People fishing from shore there is pretty new, and by that I mean past year or so, and this is coming from a local. I used to launch my kayak from there, and I was never bothered by anyone hauling up a couple yellowtail or tuna at a time, in fact people would occasionally ask for a picture. No body what so ever.

But the moment you start fishing from shore there you run that risk, cause everyone sees the seals and becomes cute and fuzzy thinking "Awwww, how cute!"; but little do they realize there is a different perspective from a community they probably never interacted with that calls the same marine mammal a fur bag and despises them. So you have two different perspectives right off the bat. Now the new community in this case is the fisherman, which if things go awry will clash against locals who want to make money. So, it becomes a "native" vs an invasive species clash (from the perspective of a local), and in this case it's a losing battle for the fishermen, and who knows what the locals might go for, maybe no fishing from shore from the La Jolla MLPA to the Scripps MLPA. I very much doubt anything could be done against offshore fishing, and this is just a hypothetical.

So, the solution in this case is to minimize confrontations, as in don't do anything stupid. I want to fish, I consider myself one of the first people to start fishing from the rocks there, and a kayak regular. Last time I fished from a yak was a little over a year ago, but I'm still in touch with other kayak regulars from there, and I want to continue fishing there in the future. So again here is an idea, you can take it with a grain a salt but it's pretty damn rational, minimize confrontations. Don't go in there there thinking "my balls are bigger then seals and f*** everybody else". Think about how you can maximize fishing that area without interacting with tourists or locals who will be there. Use common sense, negate risks, keep away from doing something with potentially.... bad results for everyone.

On another note a person editing something and lying about it is BS, shouldn't have to deal with people like that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,018

Well, that was a level headed, intelligent, response. Nothing to argue with there. I have now lost the urge to fish there just to make those whiners mad. It is so darn tempting though. Good to keep in mind also that some of them probably have unlimited resources and the connections to get laws passed against fishing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    People who live in La Jolla are able to live there for a reason.. I live in the Bird Rock area and to me it is totally un-affordable considering rent is 3600 for a 3 bedroom, especially when it originally started out as 2300. To most people in the US they hear 3600 for basically a closet (actually I take that back my room is 10x10 with a bathroom and closet) and 2 rooms is just is the equivalent to Reagan actually being the definition of liberalism, it shouldn't even be argued for. But yeah, state law does say it is illegal to interfere with someone hunting or fishing in order to acquire a food source, so fisherman who are aggravated by tourists or locals are justifiably so. However, why try and show your nuts off when it will only make a situation worse, or someone may just laugh at their size?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Have you ever fished Hogans?

18. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    NEarly had my face bitten off by a moray there yesterday while diving for lobster

19. Hirame

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +998
    isn't hogan's mlpa? (between palomar ave and diamond st)

20. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,374
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Naw, it's called horseshoe these days btw, and it's packed with morays and garabaldis, seriously, saw only a single short calico the entire time. Water was super murky too