Local lake for bass fly fishing on float tube

Discussion in 'Bass' started by wbttk, Apr 26, 2019.

1. wbttk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +196
    Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what you guys might suggest as a good local SD lake to fly fish bass from a float tube? I've done a lot of float tubing with flys in the bays and freshwater trout lakes, but I'm not very familiar with the local SD lakes and have never fished them (yet). I'd like to start getting involved in this local fishery.

I have an 8 wt, which seems to be the consensus bass weight, but I started a rod company that sells a 5wt and I'd like to get some fish on it and have some fun. I know that limits options and means no huge bass bugs and getting rocked now and then, but I'm ok with that. I was thinking of something like a larger clouser or something similar. Do you think that a kick and strip around structure on a sink tip or full sink line would work from a tube? Kinda like fly fishing the bays, just different structure?

Thanks. Just spitballing here, but I'm super interested in trying this on a light rod and your advice would really help. If anyone has any suggestions on locations, flys, or technique, I'd really appreciate it.

Zack

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,284
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I would say lake Barrett.. Barbless only, so remember that

3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,086
    My Brother in Law ( B Ruck) absolutely crushes at Barrett, mainly on top water with poppers, frogs and mouse patterns. For those baits you definitely need the 7 or 8 weight. Bring your smaller setup too, the blue gill will keep you very busy and they are big and a blast with the lighter rods...

4. wbttk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +196
    Thanks for the info guys. Barrett sounds super interesting. Bluegill would also be a blast for sure. Especially cool because I'll have my girlfriend with me, and I'd like to put her on fish. Is Barrett head and shoulders above other options because it's so regulated?

Anyone have experience with any of the other local lakes? I know a few don't allow tubes, but just wanna see what options there are, if anyone has experience.

5. FlyFavorite

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +563
    wbttk, Also take a look at El Cap and San V. San V is yes very deep but you can stay failry close to the launch area and catch some fish. El Cap is the same way. Any type of baitfish patterns work well. Clousers are always a must have in the fly box. Sink tip or full sinking line depending on how deep you reallyy want to fish it. pedal back and let the line sink. then you can pretty much troll it with a few twitches here and there. If you have any further questions message me I can help you out.
    Tight Lines

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,590
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    San V and El Cap can be really fun in the summer and fall when the bass are crashing shad on the surface. Clousers stripped really fast on the surface is crazy good fun! Just throw beyond the busting school and start stripping! I love to do it between Sierra trips, I'm always surprised there aren't more people doing it...actually, almost no one does it! I throw white clousers with flash and perfection perch, stuff I also throw at lake Crowley!

7. wbttk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +196
    Nice, thanks guys!

That's very helpful, I'll also look into San V and El Capitan. I appreciate the advice on how to fish the bass on the fly. Seems like clousers will work well, which I'm stoked about because I use them a lot in the bay on kick and strip retrieves.

We're lucky to have this many bass lake options in SD, I'm looking forward to getting to know them better!

Zack