Lockjaw

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by dj thrillz, Jul 20, 2019.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,389
    Arrived at the grounds this morning to amazing conditions. Told myself I wouldn’t send a line out unless I spotted some. Walked about ten feet to my right and all of a sudden I’m surrounded by all 20”+ beans! This is a first for me.... they were everywhere. I think I only seen one that may have been a teener. The sand crabs I had were of all sizes, from pinky nail to silver dollar in size. I sent them out in every combination I could think of, only to have them ignore any of my offerings. After two hours of agony inside 20 yards, I send out a thumbnail size up current into blind water. It tumbled for a couple seconds, line tightened, two cranks and I’m picked up! Singin drag for half a second and then it popped off. So pissed. Sent a few more blind casts out in hopes of a little luck, but nope. Defeated.
    Now I have a decision to make, come back for corbina stalk tomorrow, or deal with scattered salad at MB for a salchicha reward at the end lol. I’m torn.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Name:
    Keath
    They are getting awfully picky about what looks good enough to hit. We had a couple in front of us this morning and I was right on top of them. A month ago I would have hooked up on at least one of them. Today they just slipped right around...one of them gave me a little tail splash as if to say "kiss my arse, you're not fooling anyone with that crap!"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Lots of sharks and rays to catch in MB right now lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,349
    I’ve noticed them getting a lot more finicky too. In June I was catching all the beans I wanted on a size 6 silver owner live bait hook and a 2 foot 6lb test. After a streak of getting outfished by everyone the last couple weeks I scaled down to a size 8 light wire mosquito hook and a 4 foot 4lb test leader to get the results I wanted. I think the clearer water, sunnier conditions, and heavy abundance of sand crabs at many beaches have been contributing to this.

E2D41716-B9E3-4C09-84D3-3AF422A40FAD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,389
    Exactly what happened to me a handful of times today

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,389
    The one thing I did not bring with me today were my small #10 or #12 hooks, could’ve very well made a difference. Water was super clear
    D018A2B9-41DB-4488-B8A2-FA696157CE07.jpeg
    You can see the nice structure I was working, and they were all over the place. Actually had to wait for a moment when I didn't see them just to take a condition snap. Should be identical tmrw, so Werfless, I may have to pass on the salchichas. Of course if the area treats me like dirt again, I’ll see if I can find parking in MB lol.

7. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,935
    Friday afternoon I got rammed in the ankle by one and tail slapped by another. Got the foot-longs to bite but the bruisers weren’t having any. Piiiicky!

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,389
    It’s a trend