Logistics of bringing my 21' boat to San Diego.

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Skid_68, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Skid_68

Skid_68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    So, I live in Utah and would really like to bring my Stratos 290 S/F (21') down to San Diego for the 4th of July next summer. We've flown down and fished there a few times and love it. Watched the fireworks on the beach last year and would love to do it again. But this time be on the bay in our own boat. Of course spend the rest of our time there boating and fishing from the boat.

I've only started looking into this and have some questions. We would be staying at our condo and would not have anywhere on site to store the boat/trailer. If we pull the boat out of the water each day. Is there a storage place we could drop it at nightly? Or, what are some marina recommendations for renting a slip for 7 days if we leave it in the water each night? But that also leads to the question of the trailer. If you are renting a slip(short term) is there a place at the marina to park the trailer?

If we get a slip, I would like it to be in San Diego bay. The thought of taking the boat out of Mission bay and down the coast to SD bay makes me nervous. Am I crazy? Or is it pretty safe to take a boat of that size out into the open ocean to bay hop?

It does have a marine radio installed which I would assume is required? Are there any regulations regarding out of state boats launching in the bay? I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, but at least I can get started with planning unless this is going to be way more hassle than it's worth. Thanks for any help! 20190518_204046.png

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,442
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have seen boats less seaworthy than yours a hundred miles offshore at the Cortez bank before.. Why not MB? Sea World has pretty nice fireworks too, as well as a couple nice restaurants you can pull up to (including one awesome one)..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. blkdackz1

blkdackz1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Boat:
    2012 Hobie Revo 11
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/boatsinfo/boatreg

From what I found, you neither have to register your boat temporarily for use in Cali or have to obtain a boater card as long as the boat is properly registered in your home state and you are legally authorized to operate it in your home state.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Some people leave their boats parked at Dana landing overnight. Not sure about the exact rules related to that though.

If your boat rides fairly bow high at most speeds I would think you could run into the ocean, sure, as long as the conditions are ideal and you feel confident in the seaworthiness of your rig and your driving abilities in big water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. UberMitch

UberMitch Member

Ratings:
    +74
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. 4SQUARE

4SQUARE Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    22 North River
    I'm pulling my 22' Northriver down to San Diego in August this year. There are quest docks in SD Harbor you can reserve no more than two weeks in advance of your arrival date if you want to launch your boat and leave it docked overnight or multiple nights. The hotel we are staying at said we could park the trailer in a spot on there site during our 5 night stay. Here is the Port of San Diego website to use to reserve a spot when you get closer to your arrival date: Port of San Diego Online Reservations

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Way to go SDFish forum members. You guys are being so helpful. I’m being serious, well done. I’m learning a lot too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Skid_68

Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Werfless. I'd imagine there are all kinds out there. I've never paid attention. Are there any breakers going in and out of the bay's? How far from the shore would I need to be while traveling from bay to bay?
    We really want to watch the show from SD bay to experience the multiple barge show like last time. Although, the thought of a boat up restaurant sure sounds like fun. What are the names?

Thanks blkdackz1. I had found that boater card info and it looks like I'd miss the age cutoff next year if I had too. Also good to know about any kind of temporary registration. Just never know with all the regs and laws down there.

Thanks 5-20. I'll look into Dana landing. Do you think the boat would be secure/safe overnight there?
    My boat doesn't ride super high. Only about 20" it's a combo ski/fish bass boat. I'd only run it out there if the conditions were ideal. I've been on big lakes here that can get 6+ foot swells in stormy weather, but the ocean is a different animal for sure.

Thanks UberMitch. I'll have to read through that. Very helpful!

Thanks 4Square. Good to know I'm not the only one. :) I had found that in my searching. I'm just worried about being able to get a reservation for the 4th of July only two weeks out. It's something I will have to keep in mind for sure.

That's great about your hotel. Our condo only has an underground parking garage and I'm not sure even my truck would fit in there. It's pretty tight. I wish there was more parking.

They absolutely are!

9. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Well, for some reason, despite the high number of interesting characters that hang out around Dana Landing, you don’t see very much talk about stuff happening to the boats that are parked overnight in the parking lot.

Would I feel good about leaving it there overnight. Hmm. That’s kind of hard to answer. I might do it but obviously I would make sure I didn’t have anything valuable in the boat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,442
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hmm.. Boat up establishments around SD.. Baleen/barefoot bar and catamaran in MB.. How far out would it have to be going bay to bay.. Well, you would have to be outside the kelp, so maybe 3/4 of a mile? Hmm. The south end is where it can get tricky navigating into SDB from the north.. More I think about it, probably easier to just trailer down nice and early. Launch from one of the less used launches and spend a whole day on SDB... The port has a whole web page dedicated to the "dock and dine" restaurants around SDB, google will find it easy for you. Keep in mind that SDB can be nearly as treacherous as the open ocean at times...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    As far as going Bay to Bay you should try to be outside the Kelp line. I’d say stay in 100+ feet of water and you’ll be ok.

If you cut the corner and go through the Kelp you risk wrapping your prop or sucking Kelp into your intake. Easy to remedy, you have to listen to your engine and watch to make sure your outbound is “peeing.” Not sure if your engine has an audible overheat alarm but you want to clear your intake before you ever hear alarm........When you hear that you’ve sucked Kelp into your intake, stop immediately and gun it in reverse once or twice. Check to see if you’re dragging or wrapped and continue forward.....but I’d really recommend going around the Kelp forests between the 2 bays (PLK or PT Loma Kelp).

Also, unless you’ve done the trip at least once in the day time, I wouldn’t do it at night. Better safe than sorry.....

I also have not heard of any theft or vandalism on boats left overnight at Dana Landing or for that matter Shelter Island or South Shores. However, there are a lot of “homeless” people around. I personally wouldn’t do it unless I stripped my boat of all electronics and fishing gear. I wouldn’t trust a locked cabin. As I said, I’ve heard no issues at the boat ramps but recently a forum member got their fishing gear swiped from their Moored boat in a slip at Quivera Basin (and their boat went for a joy ride and was left floating in the bay). The dock had a locked gate and they got in, broke into a locked cabin.....

Do you have a friend in the city with a home with street parking? In a safe neighborhood? You can park on a city street for 72 hours legally. The operative word is “safe.”

Also, with your boat, you will be ok in both bays and should be ok at both La Jolla (LJK) and Pt Loma (PLK) Kelp Beds. However, I would not go more than maybe 5 miles offshore with such a low gunwale. Off shore boats have a higher gunwale which makes for a dryer ride. You’d be in for a wet ride if you decide to go “offshore.” Folks who typically go offshore in boats with a low gunwale will wear slickers because the ride is wet.....but doable.....

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,202
    Do your homework & start researching what area you think you want to be close too to make things easier.
    What is important to you, being close to the launch? Find marinas in that area...
    Start calling san diego bay marinas & as them about their short term guest slips, I'm sure lots of them can accommodate you.
    I agree with you, stick to san diego bay & keep it more drama free as doing the trek from mb to sdb is not a big deal but un-necessary for what your trying to occomplish .
    Fishing & sight seeing / boating will be more entertaining in sdb also...
    If you want to cruise out side & try fishing the kelp from sdb its very easy from a small boat as the bay entrance is huge & most always a calm area.
    Unlike mb, the entry & exit can get hairballish from a small platform at times, large swells....
    Your boat is capable of easily doing the run but do you really want to take an hour+ to to exit one bay & enter the other if not required....

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,202
  14. Skid_68

Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah, I would definitely not leave anything in the boat. I'd worry about my bow mount trolling motor the most if they really wanted to get down and dirty stealing things.

When you say tricky navigating, is that because of the waves, kelp, boats? I'll look into those places and check out the dock and dine. Thanks.

Noted on the kelp and watching the intake.
    I really don't want to make the trip at night. But if we did, I would for sure make a couple day time runs to better familiarize myself with the best route.
    I don't know anyone down there. So I'm at the mercy of either paying for a slip or storage somewhere each day.

Yeah, we don't have any desire to take the boat out any farther than to get from bay to bay but only if we need to. Super helpful. Thanks Geofish.

15. Skid_68

Ratings:
    +74
    Really anywhere in SDB would work. I've looked at some of the marina's websites and some do offer short term slips. I need to start calling like you said and get hard numbers.
    As this will be our first time down there in our own boat, the less drama the better. Especially if it takes over an hour to bay hop.

There ya go. That would be perfect. Thanks!

16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Since you said you’re gonna stay in the bays, I’m assuming you go Bass fishing with the combo boat.

That said, you will find that your bass skill set and tactics will work in both bays.

Ie
    Drop Shot
    T-Rig
    Ned Rig
    Crank Bait
    A-Rig
    Tokyo Rig

Etc

I'm not the author of these excellent threads so say your props to dj thrillz , this should get you going:

SDB
    https://sdfish.com/forums/invite/re...t_url=https://sdfish.com/forums/posts/508532/

MB
    https://sdfish.com/forums/invite/re...t_url=https://sdfish.com/forums/posts/163244/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Can you remove your trolling motor?

18. Skid_68

Ratings:
    +74
    I could. I plan on having a newer and more expensive one this summer as well. So all the more reason I wouldn't want it finding a new home. :D

19. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    How is your fish finder?

20. Skid_68

Ratings:
    +74
    That's an easy removal. That will be upgraded this year as well to link up with the new trolling motor. Waiting to see what Motorguide releases next week.