Looking for local Rod builder/repair

Discussion in 'Rod Building & Repair' started by TmoeBass, Mar 9, 2019.

1. TmoeBass

TmoeBass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156
    Looking for local rod builder/repair to convert foam grips to cork and convert solid butt grips to split butt grips (cork to cork). Preferably in east county.

Thanks

2. shimmyfish

shimmyfish Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I use Joe Lomonico in Lakeside. He's done a great job for me. 619-920-2534

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,097
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Over the years I have built many rods with both foam EVA and cork . Obtaining quality cork these days is a crapshoot at best, flaws in the underlying surfaces that will be exposed after the turning process can ruin a builders day . Foam lets the builder have some leeway . Rods are built from the small taper end ,trying to rebuild the butt end with cork rings can be very problematic without stripping the entire blank including the reel seat . such being the case if you are going to the expense of of a complete strip why not just have new custom rods built , unless blank just happens to have the perfect action . I have done the opposite and replaced bad cork grips with split foam grips , they will stretch over the guides and reverse taper rod butt much easier. Good luck with the project . Tight lines ! ADD I like the feel and looks of cork , as it sounds like you do as well . There is also the Winn Grip replacement options as well , easily done even without the help of a pro . cut off the old put on the new if the look / feel is of your liking .

#3 William Ritchie, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. TmoeBass

Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks for the info.

5. TmoeBass

Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks for the advice. Foam is to spongy. You are correct, I prefer the feel of the cork. two of the rods I want to modify have solid cork butt. I was hoping to cut, remove center section and shape the existing cork into split grip. not sure if this has been done or even achievable.

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,097
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    That can be done . The rings of cork can be cut and removed from the center , leaving just the blank exposed . There will be a lot of adhesive left on the blank that will have to be carefully sanded down if it is not water based glue , the blank would have to be recoated to have a shiny surface unless the blank is a natural finish . The remaining cork can be shaped with rasp and sand paper as needed . During the shaping of the now two pieces , there may be voids and pits that may show . Filler can be used but usually doesn't last long . There are also usually winding checks at the ends of the bare cork that may be a little harder to install because of size difference . A simple wrapped winding may be alright at those two locations . Hope this helped some .