Looking for my first custom rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building & Repair' started by joem83, Nov 1, 2021.

1. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,383
    I'm seriously thinking about going to Cedros next year to experience that amazing fishery, and in preparation for it I'd like to get a custom rod built. I'm looking at the United Composites GP 80 Mega seems like it would be a great choice with the 20-50 lb line and 1-7 oz lure rating. Also, those specs seem like it would be great for all kinds of other fishing too, like dropper looping on the half day, or live baiting for smaller tuna/yellowtail on the full days/overnights.

Anyways, I'm looking for input on the blank choice and also a recommendation for a rod builder I could hire to build it for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,037
    Name:
    Keath
    I'm still a novice wrapper. but...
    I put a manufacturing engineer's hat on during the day to support my fishing addition and have many years of experience inspecting products. I've inspected and run metrology reports on several blank manufactures and so far, Rainshadow consistently delivers outstanding product. I've wrapped 3 for myself (another RS on the wrapper now with a jig blank up next) and really enjoy fishing with them. You may want to give them a look.

JDGLB80M, RCJB96H, RCLB80M are blanks that may hit your sweetspot.

This is the typical metrology report I run on a blank before I start designing the handle assembly. The graphic shows vectors coming off of a best-fit taper profile and highlights where the finished blank deviates from a geometrically perfect cone. Tip (at the top right) has vectors that point towards the centerline which indicates the action (green vectors have larger deviation so the blank will bend more). The vectors pointing away from the centerline in the middle of the blank show power (this blank has a good backbone). Vectors pointing back towards the centerline at the butt end are (I suspect) just showing material that was removed for weight reduction. BTW this is the plot for a RCJB78MH blank.
    Taper deviation vector plot.jpg

3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,764
    So no, just picking up the blank and pulling on it?:emoji_wink:... I have no idea what you just said, but you engineers keep us doofus in check:emoji_smile:...
    Butch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,037
    Name:
    Keath
    No sir, absolutely need to pick it up and pull on it. That's the best part of picking a blank.

All the inspection and metrology stuff is just my own process for assessing the blank profile and quality.

5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,466
    Love my Rainshadows but United Composites are on a league of their own.

Check with total length allowed on your flight. Each outfitter differs.

I really like the US line from UC. The Mega might be a little light for Cedros but also depends on what you're throwing. Calicos laugh at 40# there.

6. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,383
    K-Bo Smack that is some high level stuff my dude! appreciate the input.

Meanwhile, the tuna here are like 20lb only please! I've heard good things about those Rainshadows but it seems like everybody loves the UC rods, figured I'd see what the hype is all about. Do you guys have any recommendations for a reputable rod builder?

#6 joem83, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  7. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,730
    I have never had a custom rod built, but I have heard some proclaim Jim Trelikes as the best in San Diego, and I have always been impressed with the work he has posted on here in the past, and on BD. However, there is probably a long waiting list for him.

ironmike is a member of these forums, and I have heard his rods are well made. I have met him a couple of times. Good people.

8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,358
    Name:
    Eric
    In my limited experience I would say go with a private rod builder. In early august I took a rod to squidco to redo the grip and install a reel seat, and ordered a custom rod on special (rainshadow) from M&M. Quoted 1-2 months by both. Didnt hear from either for 3 months. Checked in with squidco, they botched communication and the rod was just sitting. M&M didnt even have the blank yet. I understand there are issues to deal with, but just went on a 1.5 without either rod and a big gap in my quiver. Wasnt happy about that.

As for blanks, I haven't fished a rainshadow yet but I'm very happy with the 8 calstars I have. Personal preference for rod action is hugely decisive i think.

If you can get K-Bo Smack to build a rod for you, I would jump ALL over that