Lower Owens Dec 31-Jan 2

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Titos334, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,133
    After getting a taste during Thanksgiving I decided to go back to the Lower Owens for New Years. Left home early on Dec 31 and made it up to Bishop just after 9am. Got the same camping spot at the Pleasant Valley campground and setup camp and went right to fishing. I fished some of the same water I fished before and some new water. Fishing was ok for me, landed 4 fish on New Years and lost at least that many. I also lost a lot of nymphs snagging bottom but I figure it's like bass fishing if your'e not losing gear you're not in the right spot. It got pretty windy at night and cold lol but sitting by the campfire made it alright and some champagne warms the soul. Despite the nighttime lows of about 15 I slept really cozy in my tent.

New Years day I woke up after the sun poked its head about the mountain and got to fishing at about 8am. I decided to scout out some new water further down below the campground. Took a lot of casts and persistence but managed to land some fish about 5 for the day and lost a couple more. It was pretty cold through the morning but the guides only really iced up in the shadows. At 3:30pm decided to call it quits and head into down to Rusty's to catch the rest of the Rose Bowl. Unfortunately my Utes lost but gotta be in it to lose it so it was good nonetheless. After the game ate dinner and sat by the fire until bed time.

Sunday I woke up broke down camp and fished for 2 hours but didnt catch anything so heading to the car and back on home and made it back around 3pm. All in all it was a great time, weather was nice and calm for the most part and rather pleasant winter weather to be honest. Caught my last and first fish of the year so already off to a great start to 2022. All the fish I caught were on nymphs below an indicator with various #16 jig nymphs with the best being a tungston parrot pattern and either a #20 midge or #20 beadhead pheasant tail.

OxfgoiF.jpg xmyuwfv.jpg 0nEucAE.jpg VTrR08x.jpg NfkwDpD.jpg
    AoKVhUw.jpg zmW49RC.jpg rgHlsTF.jpg

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,855
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Nice!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Great pix and journey

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,042
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Like the Griddle / Stove setup . Do you use the coolers to keep stuff from freezing ? I like camping in the cold but the wood stove in the wall tent helps my old bones . Thanks for the report , and Pics . WR

5. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,133
    I love the camp chef, great way to cook and camp! Yeah the red cooler was just to keep my water from freezing. The blue cooler had the drinks and food and a bag of ice to keep things cool but nature helps with that.

6. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,080
    Great report and great pics. Can't beat the scenery looking up towards Mt. Tom.

7. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,252
    I love it up there...Glad you had a great time. Im currently taking fly casting lessons.

8. MVPA12

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +237
    forget about the fish, tell me more about the hunt.:emoji_sunglasses:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List