LUCANUS JIGGING SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by hawaiianstyle, Mar 17, 2008.

1. hawaiianstyle

hawaiianstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    HAVE ANY OF YOU FISHED THE LUCANUS JIGGING SYSTEM? LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE DEADLY IN OUR LOCAL WATERS! ITS MADE BY SHIMANO,IF YOU HAPPEN TOO FISH IT MAKE A VIDEO AND SEND IT IN YOU COULD WIN 1000 DOLLARS.CHECK IT OUT lucanusjig.com, CHECKOUT THE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO IF I KNEW HOW TO PUT THE VID ON HERE I WOULD, YOU COULD YOU TUBE IT ALSO!

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I fish the TJW jigging system and it's proven to be deadly in our waters.

mick

3. Dj_Hickups

Dj_Hickups Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ya i agree with mick..... why would u go out and spend $20 on lures that are only used for rockcod..... when u can get an amazing USA, San Diego, CA hang made lure for alot cheaper..... but hey a good old dropper loop catches fish too.

4. Pthfndr

Pthfndr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    TJW, Reebs, UniButter, etc are all excellent tools and I use them constantly, but why limit yourself? I agree with buying locally, but why would you not try something new? Ok, the price is a bit prohibitive and that is a valid reason not to try them. However, if it catches fish and I can afford to buy one, I will definitely give them a shot.

Should also add that the video that I saw showed the guy that engineered them pulling up reds and lings. Of course they were probably in the perfect spot with the perfect weather, but my point is that this jig is not limited to rockcod.

I have a couple of the Lucanus jigs, just haven't had the time to get out and try them. Hopefully tomorrow I can report something other than the loss of $30.

5. Tunafingers

Tunafingers Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the hour long commercial of the lubeanus jigs on Inside Sportfishing, they're alright but I'll stick with the TJWs.

6. hawaiianstyle

hawaiianstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    MUCH RESPECT IS DUE TO TJW, UNI BUTTER, AND REEBS. THEIR ALL GREAT PRODUCTS, AND BETTER YET PROVEN BY OUR LOCAL FISHERMEN. BUT LIKE PATHFINDER SAYS WHY LIMIT YOURSELF!

7. EastCoaster

EastCoaster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i was privy to seeing some of the catches photo'd when certain folks who were field testing the lucanus jigging system off the backside of SC. i'm a big fan of jigs in general. i certainly feel a heavier saltwater designed jig was in need. i caught my 52" WSB this year on the shimano butterfly jig and i know plenty of people who wouldn't spring for that. let's just say i have no regrets on that purchase after catching albies, calico, sandbass, rockfish and YT in 2007 and now a WSB on it 2008, same jig too.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I too am a HUGE fan of TJW and consider them a staple in my tackle box. I did see the new shimano lucanus jig at the Fred Hall Show, and agree that it is definately an interesting looking jig and will definately try it, but like I said the TJW and Spinbonmbs have done exceptionaly well for me and will always have them on hand as my "go to" baits.

9. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    WOW, thanks for all the kind words.

I think those other things look cool. I don't know how much they cost though. I'm not sure that those and TJWs are really in the same catergory? are they? That looks more like an open water lure to me. Didn't I read that they were 3oz? They're more like in the iron catergory aren't they?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be right about putting them in the iron category according to weight Trix. The Lucanus jigs I saw at the show had to be 3oz, but I just assumed they may have smaller sizes. Prices were indeed steep. $19.95/ea at the booth that I asked, although they may have been cheaper at another booth. I think I put it in the jig category simply because it had hooks and line tie-ing locations that resemble those jertical speed jigs. The material of the long tails scare me a little bit, they look pretty fragile, and if I'm spending $20 a pop I would hope that they would last.

With all that being said, Trix check your email as I just ordered some more of your ling bomb jigs now that the time has come to go after them.

11. Kenny

Kenny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    the lucanus jigs are AMAZING FOR THE PURPOSE!!!! bottom line. they are made for bottom fish and in my opinion can't be beat while bottom fishing. TRICKS- i love TJWs and fish them a lot, and they are amazing in the kelp and bay, but for specifally bottom fishing straight down the lucanus jigs are awesome. just my thoughts.....