Lure choice based on media influence

Discussion in 'Bass' started by spoonminnow, Jan 20, 2021.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    The match theory belief that lures should be chosen based on the current forage has been around for decades. I remember the influence of the media (TV show, literature, videos) which got me thumbing through the pages of Bass Pro and Cabelas catalogs every December when they arrived in the mail. Regularly on weekends I'd watch fishing shows that presented respected, professional angler celebrities pushing certain lures - many of which were sponsored by those anglers. Bill Dance and others had their own shows which I and thousands looked forward to watching on weekends.

The usual reason given for buying lures was usually based on the logic of 'matching': a lure that represents a forage animal to predator fish is more likely to get it to struck. That's not to say that the lures hyped didn't or couldn't catch fish, but many times what was left out of the videos of large fish being caught were the basics of when not to use them and where they were less effective. The reasons to buy a color selection for each lure pushed were defined by those anglers which increased sales of each lure sold.

I'm not the first diehard angler to fall for hype regarding fishing tackle especially before I started fishing in tournaments with more knowledgeable bass anglers. But owning a sh**load of tackle doesn't guarantee better catches. I can't blame the media hype that strongly influenced my purchases - it will always be there for all products sold in a consumer society. But buyer beware ! should have popped into my head vs the b.s. fed to suckers such as myself via shows and magazine articles that were basically a form of slick advertising.

Propaganda is one thing but ultimately truth-in-catching is the final test of my lure choice and usage after having fished in different waters over many years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    I too have more boxes of lures purchased over the years than you can shake a stick at (half of which never get used). The bait manufactures are mega businesses that depend solely on our purchases. It took me years to figure out that 90% of the lures I was buying was because their shapes and colors excited me to buy them not because they excited the fish to bite them. I've learned over the years what works best for me and that's pretty much all I use these days.
    Keep in mind I will never admit to my wife that she was right when she would look at all my tackle and just say (OH MY GOD----WHY?)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Honest post spoonminnow

I just buy whatever the tacticalbassin' guys tell me to buy.

I had to end up buying several of each kind of lure, of every color of and size, of course, otherwise I would be afraid to lose it. When I had a bunch it didn't bother me as much, now I am trying to lose them all before i get too old to fish.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas

Here's a good video kinda talking about the same thing....guys a pro and I like listening to his takes on things. Fishing is one of those weird things that isn't an exact science. I like working on cars and you know its ingrained that there is one way to change a tire ect.....

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    But what's at the root of why anglers buy lures based on hype? In my case I think that in the back of my mind was the hope that just maybe my 101st lure purchase would turn out to be the ultimate lure that magically catches fish most times, anywhere. I remember daydreaming before I even got the lure in the mail in Jan. of me catching that 8 lb bass as well as a ****load of of fish of all sizes. Heck, Bill Dance (Dancing Eel) and Roland Martin (remember the Helicopter lure?) pretty much guaranteed it ! (Never did catch a fish on either lure....)

But I have to say, Al Lindner and Ron Lindner (rest his soul), were two of the most informative, dedicated and honest anglers when it came to lure selection and solid information. In fact anytime I read his articles or saw him on TV, Al always gave a selection of same-type lures to chose from that could do the trick in that particular situation on the water. Never one-lure-catches-all all the time. There were others in late 70's and 80's like Al worth watching or reading articles by them and you never got the feeling you were sold a bill of goods. I miss them, YouTube aside.

I'm like Fish4bass and Everydog - what to do with all those crankbaits still sitting in unopened boxes as well as the hundreds of soft plastic lures in zip lock bags. Maybe I'll open up a stand near the road....

#5 spoonminnow, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,973
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lemme know if you want to toss em out the door at a good price. Any time I can get gear cheap enough, I make sure any kids I find that are into it, or poor folk get the deals too (I rarely bother with lures, myself). If you want top dollar, list em individually on eBay...

7. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    well If you're looking for a donation bin lol! But if you do have a yard sale I'd probably buy some, or a lot!

8. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +821
    i just buy whatever linebig and vinny uses

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    I guess I could post photos of the lures still in boxes. Considering the current price range of $6 - $9 each, would 3 bucks seem out of line + lowest cost to ship?If so, where on SD would I post them?

Better someone else might be able to use them than sitting around in my basement.

10. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,973
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Figure out how many will fit in one of those USPS flat rate boxes... Charge for the shipping plus a buck per box. You would have plenty of takers...

11. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,799
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,325
    Go bonito fishing if you have a bunch of lemon hardbaits that need to be used up.

13. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Your funny spoonminnow. I never caught a thing on that damn Helicopter lure either.

14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Most lures have the build of a trinket or cheap toy. Should cost about 37 cents if they were not fishing lures.

15. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    Though I have to admit his giant willow leaf spinnerbait did catch bass - the one he won a BassMaster tournament on the Hudson R., N.Y.

16. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +760
    Watching TNN on Saturday mornings in the 90's led me to these...

5781701370d256fefa1c88ccc33c1557.jpg LSE2KUWPZPANWU6W52KXPJ7CMA.jpg 81iU3cAAbpL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Never caught a damn thing on em but always down to give it a 2nd chance.

17. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771
    I got the BIG Banjo minnow kit as a gift. They swim like crazy...but didn't impress the fish much. Still have a crapload of the bodies.....maybe will try melting 'em down. Kinda soft plastic for my apps though....

18. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,799
    Hard to imagine a spotty not going for one, would be the 1st soft plastic I couldn't catch one on. Give a few to me and I will take it as a challenge. I can give you gobs of torn up plastics to melt down in return.

19. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,973
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Those were a hot lure recently at San V... Just saying. Probably something the fish haven't seen in a hot minute

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771
    Banjo Minnow III....La Revancha 20210120_215112[1].jpg
    the heads that give 'em swimming actions are long lost. But those minnows would work on a scrounger...and the frogs and curl-tail minnows will be offered up to the spotty gods soon......