Lure making beginner. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by DarrenSki, May 28, 2019.

1. DarrenSki

DarrenSki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Figured Id start making my own crankbaits but I havent been able to figure out a system to make them efficiently. Does anybody have a step by step recommendations to cut, sand, coat, paint etc...?
    I bought some 2ton clear epoxy but im hearing it yellows over time. Also, is adding a coat of polyurethane before airbrush needed or recommended?
    Im truly impressed by a lot of your guys work and would be stoked for some of your knowledge.

Heres one ive been working on but i still need to add weight and make the lip. Just getting this far has took a while.

15590747422076886600242420532944.jpg

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,408
    I usually always use epoxy on wood baits, and over three years later on some I dont see any yellowing. As far as efficiency goes, it really depends on how much you're willing to invest. You might want to look into making a mold and using resin rather than wood. You can add 'micro balloons' to the resin to achieve the same buoyancy as wood. This will enable you to cut down on carving and sanding time. Painting is a whole different ball game. I would suggest starting with water base paints as they are much more forgiving and cheaper than solvent base. Hit me up anytime if you have any more questions. Remember Youtube also has a TON of instructional videos out there for bait making. Facebook groups are a good start as well. Best of luck!

Nute

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. DarrenSki

Ratings:
    +179
    Ive been watching a bunch of youtube videos and Im learning quite a bit. I think Ill have to try out a few different things to see what works well for me.
    Now I will be looking into using resin. Ill keep posted with my progress once I get it going.Thanks for the advise buddy

4. Kyle Goodman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +355
    There is a guy on youtube called marlin baits, all he does it make different kinds of hard baits and soft. He goes into depth with how and what he uses. Check him out if you haven't already

5. DarrenSki

Ratings:
    +179
    Ended up spraying a lure for my first time, pretty stoked how it turned out

20190530_131120.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DarrenSki

Ratings: