Lures for surf/reef fishing Kauai

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by 12incher, Oct 18, 2019.

1. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +563
    Going for winter break, I bought a small collection of Mike White lures; any recommendations for some other brands that can be locally purchased? Looking for surface to keep off the rocks and coral.

Thanks.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Most of the fish over there are vegan from what I remember

3. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +563
    Lettuce?

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    One hears rumors of green beans... Seriously.. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I was there in September and got a total of 1 single bite, on a 2.8 keitech lol. Most of the time it was too windy where I was staying and the waves were too big for me to get down on the rocks to where I could actually cast into some good water.

This guy fishes from the shore a lot, but not in Kauai. Could probably watch some of his videos and learn something anyways.

Shaka Fishing

If you're looking into doing a charter, I went out with Nemesis Sportfishing and had a great time. Their boat was really nice and the captain/deckhand were great. The fishing wasn't incredible that day but we managed a wahoo, a Pacific blue marlin, and 2 skippies.

6. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,330
    not sure what you're after but there are these really popular lures over there called "minnow strips" or some variation of that name. They're just a thin soft plastic strip you attach to a hook and fish under a bobber. You retrieve the bobber with a popping motion. The same can be done with strips of squid

7. schuck

schuck Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Long time lurker here and figured I should contribute since I've learned much from this forum. I've done light tackle shore fishing on the Big Island a number of times so I assume Kauai will be the same. Take a light spinning or casting setup, 10-15lb line, and burn small, 1/4-1/2 oz shiny metal jigs like kastmasters over the reefs for the papio (small trevally). I even hooked an estimated 10lb barracuda on a small, Thomas Buoyant trout spoon slow reeled over the reef in a calmer spot. Rip baits like the LC Flashminnow, Ima Flit etc ripped hard and erratically over the reefs also work. Same for swimbaits. You can grind a 3-5 inch swimbait over a coral head then kill it so it falls straight down past the coral head and the 1-3 pound roi (peacock grouper) will slam it just like a calico or spottie. The roi are an invasive species but I love fishing for them. They crush the swimbaits and rip baits and act just like our saltwater bass. Also, #4 or #6 mosquito hooks with bits of shrimp, squid or gulp fly-lined, split-shotted or behind a cast a bubble will get the mini reef fish. Like anywhere else, you have to hunt for the spots with fish and early and late times are better. So basically, all your socal fresh and inshore stuff will work. You will lose a lot of gear to the reefs. Have fun!

Edit - local soft plastics, search for bigislandbaits and campanialures. Grocery stores and gas stations carry the soft plastic strips. I never used any of these.

#7 schuck, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  8. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,275
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I fly fished it a couple years ago. It’s tough fishin. I believe they still Gillnet.

9. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Big poppers for the Ulua.

10. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +563
    Thanks brother.

11. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,722
    Throw net. That’s all I saw them doing over there. And spear.

12. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I just spent 5 weeks working on Oahu this summer and fishing every weekend and many week days, and the above advice is good. Papillo and Omilu are most likely your target "meat eaters" along with a few others. Locals use a clear casting bubble with very small plastic white single tail grub they call whipping. Not a ton of success as 75 percent of the fish on the reef are vegetarians. Many of the vegetarian fishes eat the hawaiian sling reel well though and taste pretty good too.(down load the Hawaiian reef fish guide so you know which ones are good to eat and how big they have to be if you end up spearing them) Especially the Manini. Snorkeling and spearing is way funner in Hawaii in my opinion unless your going offshore.

13. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Did you get any Ulua?

14. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    IMG_8056.JPG This is as close as I got to an Ulua. I fished the East side, West, and North shore.