Maiden Voyage FishCat 5 Max

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by diegofish, Apr 8, 2021.

1. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,862
    I took my new FishCat 5 Max out for the first time yesterday.
    Had a FishCat 4 prior and loved it

The Max is so much bigger its almost too big. Took me a little while to get used to the size.
    Harder to transport and store for sure.

Made my rod holder and have a few things I wish I did different
    I made it where the rods are to close together. I placed them 4in apart, a couple more inches would have been perfect ( That' what she.... )
    Also made it where it's too far in front of the boat. My "Line To Cast" is blocked a bit on my left side.
    Will be making another one soon.

All in all the tube is great and worth the extra money if you're a big guy.

Hope this helps so you don't make the same mistakes, make different ones lol

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,302
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sounds like a good platform once you dial it in...

3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    You will find that the amount of stuff you bring expands to fill the pouches, just like when you move to a bigger home, it magically fills up over time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    At first, I had just two rods...one behind me on the left side and one in my hands. Added a 3 rod rack and could see a wall of rods in my periphery........but in practice, it didn't affect my casting...or I just got used to a slight eggbeater kick to spin the tube a few degrees if I really needed to make a weird backhand cast from left to right. Give it a couple trips....

Kinda like when I swap off and ride someone else's motorcycle that has a windshield. Takes a while to get used to that "something" in my field of vision.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My rod holders are 3" apart. I have notches that the triggers and spinning stems fit into. Keeps them from spinning in the rack. I have to be careful not to lift more than one rod at a time. I have heard of other guys flipping a set-up into the drink when hurriedly selecting a rod. My front rod holder is set at a forward angle for trolling or holding the rod while dealing with a fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    My store-bought 3-rod rack with fairly fat tubes: There's less than 3 inches of space between the tubes, exactly 5 inches from center to center. At that distance, sometimes if I lift one up quickly, either the reel handle or one of the guides, or the lure that's hooked to the guide will contact the rod next to it and start it lift that rod as well. The first rack I built, using pretty large pvc, was about 8 inches center to center.

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I saw a guy 3 weeks ago with 12 rods on his tube..and I thought my 4 got tangled...

8. BassSeeker

BassSeeker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Boat:
    Tube
    Awesome! I have a 4 deluxe, took it out today for the first time in a few months, love it. I made a rod holder that holds 5 rods with a 6th rod option pointed forward at a 45 which I typically use as an extra hand to place my rod im using if I need to place it somewhere secure while re-rigging etc. Let me know, I can send some pics of mine and how it lines up on my tube for reference if you build a new one. I do plan on cutting some slots so my rods can't spin around in the tubes but the spacing seems to be good.
    Id like to make another mount system on the other side of my tube for my fishfinder and battery and possibly some other storage or like a tray etc.