Mammoth (or near it at least)

Discussion in 'Trout' started by PBandJellicles, Feb 20, 2020.

1. PBandJellicles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +746
    Boat:
    I wish
    I went up to mammoth this past weekend for some boarding and scoped out the area beforehand to see what kind of water was around. I noticed all the lakes at the base of the mountain and figured I’d give some trout fishing a shot. Well the snow wasn’t all that great due to the high temps so it gave me an opportunity to get out on day 2 for some fishing.

I stopped by the trout rigger and got some local advice and he let me know all the lakes around the mountain don’t open until late April...darn! He pointed me instead to pleasant valley reservoir which was about 30 miles away and said they were biting on worms and power bait and at the very least it was a good place to go and have a couple beers and chill with friends.

Well I made the drive to the reservoir around 11 AM and brought some spinning rods, kastmasters, panther martins, some beer, and friends. We ended up catching one about every 30 minutes, all on different lures, and ended our afternoon around 3 PM with 4 trout and a heck of a good time.

82433099-D19E-41BF-85AF-E626F660635B.jpeg

7C60FB28-3A3D-4793-AAED-336A75FDA568.png

2. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Name:
    Perry
    Days like that make great memories to share around the campfire later with friends. Great job on working the water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. PBandJellicles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +746
    Boat:
    I wish
    I couldn't agree more! It was nice to get out and have some (very inexperienced) friends catch some fish too. I'm also not very experienced with trout myself so it was nice to catch them on some moving baits. The people around us were mostly throwing power baits and bottom baits and were not as successful as we were.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,334
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    A tidbit if you are interested.. the creeks in Inyo county from Independence south open in early March, something damn few people take advantage of...

82) Inyo County, Southwestern portion,
    in all waters bounded by the Inyo County
    line on the south and west, Independence
    Creek on the north (open to fishing),
    and Highway 395 on the east (also
    see Cottonwood Creek and Diaz Lake
    Restrictions).
    First Sat. in Mar. through Nov. 15. 5 per day
    10 in possession
    (8

5. PBandJellicles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +746
    Boat:
    I wish

Thanks for the info Werfless The guy at the troutrigger told me a little bit about those areas being open earlier than the season up at the lakes. He also mentioned some have barbless and catch restrictions so to be wary of those.. I am pretty eager to give it a try and hopefully do some fly fishing