Man Made Flood at River

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by turbulence, Mar 5, 2008.

1. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
  2. Fishnuts

Fishnuts Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What part of the river is the local club fishing? I doubt it will effect much more than directly below the dam (grand canyon).

3. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335181,00.html

If you ask me it's another example of the government realizing that they need to listen before they build some major facility. I guess from what I read in the article the building of the dam caused the extinction on two fish groups, and almost did the same to a third one. Now they are doing this to help bring back what nature use to do naturally.

Way to go Feds.

4. Austin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    Boat:
    yes
    I was out there at Picacho one year when they did that and water was all the way into the camp ground and bear canyon.

5. HawgDog

HawgDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I fished (flyfished) Lee's Ferry below Glenn Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) a couple years ago. The guide told us about these manmade floods to restore the habitat and save the chub. Problem is that it completely ruined the trophy trout fishery that Lee's Ferry had been. The chubs have never really recovered. So the net, net is that this man made flood experiment has been a complete waste. No one travels to fish for the chub. The chub has not recovered. Meanwhile, the trout fishery has been ruined. It's a lose, lose, lose situation that makes the enviros feel like they're turning back the clock.

6. HawgDog

HawgDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I fished (flyfished) Lee's Ferry below Glenn Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) a couple years ago. The guide told us about these manmade floods to restore the habitat and save the chub. Problem is that it completely ruined the trophy trout fishery that Lee's Ferry had been. The chubs have never really recovered. So the net, net is that this man made flood experiment has been a complete waste. No one travels to fish for the chub. The chub has not recovered. Meanwhile, the trout fishery has been ruined. It's a lose, lose, lose situation that makes the enviros feel like they're turning back the clock.