Mark McGwire hired by the Padres

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kellen, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Big Mac has been hired by the Padres as bench coach, replacing Dave Roberts who took the managerial job with the Dodgers.

Thoughts?

2. SgtMaj

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +148
    I'm not impressed. Because of his PED use I never cared for him even when he was playing in MLB. He may have some knowledge he can pass on to others because of his time and experience in the majors. Perhaps he will be able to light some fires under some people during a long season. I don't think it will make any difference with the Padres. As I see it the Padres are 3 - 5 years away from seriously contending for much of anything.
    But one has to start somewhere so we'll just see this coming season how intelligent the hiring of Green and all his staff to be was in the won/loss column at the end of the 2016 season.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,029
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Funny, the drug thing was my first thought.

4. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,133
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Put a Uni on him and get him out in left field. Keep him off the bench. Thats where the rest of team should be!

5. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    "McGwire' I don't like the hire, whats he going to do sit on the bench and show the players the best way to get Juiced...........I really like Dave Roberts, hate to see him go. But now that he a Dodger he the enemy......Oh, one other thing on Big Mac and others, Roger Maris "61" is still the right record.............

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    One reason I find myself being a little optimistic about McGwire joining the club is where he's been employed as a coach already; the Dodgers and Cardinals. Those are two clubs that usually don't have to reach for coaching help, and are never desperate.

So without knowing anything about how he is as a coach, I can probably safely assume that within baseball, he's one of the more respected men in that regard.

I do know one thing, baseball DOES NOT care about steroids. The game of baseball, the commissioner's office, the players, the front offices of each ball club, they DO NOT care about steroids. McGwire being a steroid user will never be held against him within baseball. The only reason anyone in baseball would say otherwise is to save face publicly.

Baseball does not care about steroids. Never have, probably never will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. SgtMaj

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +148
    Baseball may not care about them. I care about them.

And if McGwire was sooooooooo successful as a "coach", especially with the Cardinals organization, why is he not still employed by them? Last time the Cardinals went to the WS and won McGwire wasn't even on the staff. And their team batting average the last few years hasn't been above the norm while he was a hitting "coach" with them.
    And the Dodgers? Boy, they sure lit up the league while he was the hitting coach.

Might as well hire Jose Conseco to be 1st base coach while they're at it too.

8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    McGwire left the Cardinals because his family lives in Irvine...and he grew up in Pomona and always wanted to live and work in southern California. He was never fired from the Cardinals, in fact he rejected a contract extension with the Cardinals to join the Dodgers.

The Cardinals were 10th, 1st, and 1st in MLB in offense the 3 years he was there. They've tapered off since he left though (3rd, 14th and 11th).

He was also their hitting coach the last time they went to the World Series and won, 2011, his 2nd year...

9. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,718
    Almost everyone in pro sports take vitamin-S . The only ones that get caught are the ones that get sloppy . Or the ones that piss off the wrong person and they are made an example of .

10. SgtMaj

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +148
    LOL! Ok, ya caught me! I didn't check the facts before I spouted off.
    I still don't like the hire unless they also hire Conseco. Maybe Sammy Sousa as 3rd base coach?
    To tell you the truth the only reason I have a 1/2 season ticket package to Petco is to be able to check out all the other teams that come here to play the Padres. Heck, 2 years ago when the Yankees came here to play the Padres I sold those 3 date tickets for what I paid for the entire package. The packages are good deals and are mid ranged in MLB ticket prices so are great for baseball fans. Last year I went to AT+T Park while in SF and had to settle for standing room only tickets at $39.00 each!

I still do not like McGwire and his ilk. I know Babe Ruth, Grover Cleveland Alexander, and Doc Ellis took performance enhancing drugs but those were booze and LSD so that is acceptable to me.