Mast buoys?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by Robdog, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Well, it’s creeping up on the long awaited time of the year again, BUG SEASON! With that in mind, I’ve begun a new phase with my gear after looking at last seasons pros and cons setup wise, the most important being different buoys. Regarding the buoys, I’ve switched over to so called ‘mast buoys’ which are often seen on mooring cans with mooring lines attached to them, making for easy reach over and grab instead of jabbing blindly with a gaff or boathook. Anyway, before I go and finish this setup (and buy 5 more), I wanted to ask your guys advice since I’m in untested waters here... is it considered ‘legal’ to use mast buoys? My aim is to drill the standard hole out a bit wider in the weighted bottom part so the line will self balance, and that way when we come up to the net, we can just reach over and grab the wand instead of jabbing around and getting the wrong end or having the current grab it or something. I’m also going to attach a glow stick to the top portion, it’ll be very visible since its a 96” tall wand from bottom to top, the stick will be about 55” from the water. I’ve labeled the prototype with the GOID number and the name of the boat, its got reflective tape all over, but I just want to make sure it’s consdered legal before I put any more effort into the rest (mostly a weekend project). Thanks guys! Attached below are what I’m describing.

image.jpg

ADCC3147-3E54-43FB-9934-CB3CB5FFD67C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,695
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sure looks legal, safe and smart, to me...

3. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    That’s the same set up I have. I had added some extra weight to the bottom and made the attachment point just below bottom of the float. I tried it tied to the bottom of the mast but in heavy current it would lean over.

Attach some reflective tape to the top of the mast and on the float. Find some flashy blinky lights for the mast.

I haven’t been buggin in a long time. I stopped when it became combat fishing and not worth the aggravation. Not that long ago we’d clean our tuna just outside the MB jetty. Tie the tuna carcs into the hoops and get limits before the sun went down.

4. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Sounds like the good old days tried to do that now you’d have 25 people surrounding you all wanting the bugs you pull up. As for the buoys, I’ll definitely have to experiment a little, I’ve been ‘testing’ them in my pool with the filter output on high, but obviously a pool isn’t close to mimicking the ocean so it’ll be interesting to see how moving the weight around affects it. Thanks for the feedback!

5. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +397
    I haven't ever hit up lobster down here but I do pull a lot of crab and shrimp pots back home. What I started doing was gluing a fun noodle (the stupid swim toy from Wal-Mart) onto the upper portion of my buoys. That way you can see them from a LONG ways off and there normally is no mistaking my buoys for some other dudes. It also makes them a lot easier to grab from the boat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Sdudebro86

Sdudebro86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Those looks awesome great design. Where did you get that weight at I'd like to make something similar it's a pain sometimes looking for them. I tried milk jugs with glow stick last year but want to improve. Thanks

7. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    The buoys are weighted on the bottom (think sailboat keel) I just used the Promar 12oz clip on weights on a bowline on the end of the line and drilled the hole in the buoy out another inch or so. It self balances now, so the slack tag end won’t wrap a prop or something. I got the buoys off amazon and @ west marine, Amazon was a lot cheaper. Photo below is the finished product.

image.jpg

8. Sdudebro86

Sdudebro86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Appreciate it thanks for the help. Good luck out there

9. cphan6778

cphan6778 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Where did u get those weights thingy and how heavy r they

10. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    The weights on the buoys are built in. The weights for the self balancing line setup are just led weights with clips hooked to a carabiner. Amazon has them.

11. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    Link? If i were to search Amazon i feel like I'll be searching forever since i won't know what to search it under

12. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    It’s literally a Promar 12oz line weight. They have them in 6 or 12oz.

13. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    Im referring to this

Screenshot_20190925-131552_Chrome.jpg

14. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Those are built in. They’re part of the buoy. I thought you meant the line weights.

15. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    Where can i buy these built in weights buoy or what should i search

16. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
  17. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    They cost a pretty penny too haha. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the info and gold luck this weekend if you go out. I'll check back on Monday

18. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    They cost a pretty penny too haha. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the info and gold luck this weekend if you go out. I'll check back on Monday

19. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    You can make them yourself for probably 1/4 of what they cost. Grab one of the normal floats (I think they’re the 10 inch floats, the ones that come in all the rigging kits) and PVC, cut the PVC to whatever length you want, hammer it through the hole so it’s about 50/50 top and bottom, add some weights to the bottom (I used a bunch of old sockets) and you have your own mast buoy.

20. cphan6778

Ratings:
    +67
    That's the plan but for now I'll keep my current setup til the seals decide they're too hungry and want to chew on my buoys some more.

20190922_103853.jpg