May be leaving San Diego after 25 yrs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by agrazela, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Current employer offered me a position in a location we're building in another city.

25% pay increase, moving bonus worth ~4mos pay, all moving costs, house-selling and house-buying costs/fees/commissions paid, put me up for 60 days after moving, plus a few minor perks. Would start July 2020--so I do at least get some more SD fishing in. Must commit by Apr 15 this year.

Retired MIL, semi-invalid adult nephew and 2 dogs would come with us, but all my kids are off to college or graduated already. Wife probably wouldn't even have to work anymore unless she wanted to.

Downside? It's Atlanta. (Is that a downside?) Also, I'm sure I'll have more work responsibility than I have now.

(OTOH, am I getting out of Kalifornia at just the right time...?)

Probably sell my CC here and get a bass boat there. FLA has charters, right?

Haven't done a corporate relocation since I was an entry-level punk, and Newark, NJ to San Diego was a very, very easy decision for a then-23-year old recent graduate man-child.

Console me.

2. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Name:
    Kenny
    Good for you! If it were me, It'd be tough to say no. I recommend renting out your house so you can easily come back if you wanted. That would be great income for ATL and lots of bass fishing there. Be smart with the money - all of that bonus and relocation cash - throw it in something high-interest and make that move really count.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do that. This would be an all-in move.

4. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I’d recommend renting in Atlanta for a year so you get to know the City and it’s neighborhoods. Would suck to move into a neighborhood then find out 6months later you wish you were on the other side of the track.

I’d try to stay inside the loop.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,404
    Dunwoody, Alpharetta and Buckhead are nice upscale respectable neighborhoods....

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,819
    Name:
    Larry M
    I was born in Newark, NJ. Went to school there for awhile. Talking about 1946, don't remember to much about being there.
    Good luck on your move, Troy has the right idea about the house.

7. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,465
    Name:
    Ray
    Atlanta is a great area. Like already mentioned, the bass fishing is awesome as is the hunting if you like to hunt. One thing not mentioned is Southern hosipitality. If you have never lived in the South you will find it extremely refreshing to actually have folk wave and say hello all the time. I count the days until I can get back south.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If you decide to move, make sure you go on as many Bluefin trips as you can this summer and fall. Might be pretty hard to replicate these experiences once you’re out of here.

Other than that, eh, I guess you’ll have to think about that a bit. Maybe spend a week in Atlanta looking around to help you get a better feel for the city. It’s not exactly a no brainer like moving to San Diego is for many people. North Carolina is probably just about as far south as I could see myself living on the east coast.

9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Atlanta traffic is a bear, probably want to live by where you work if possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,199
    HotLanta...

Some damn good bass and Florida Fishing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Shiiiii.. live in Atlanta and run your air b n b on the gulf coast of FL, condo of your choice along say oh.. Lido key or Manasota/Cape Coral/Boca Grande (my favorites, may not work for you)... Wilmington area in NC might be a second choice... Let me know when your FL condo is in itsi low season cheap.. "I make you deal"...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,251
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Aside from fishing , if you hunt or like to recreate in the outdoors the land ownership would be a shock to most from the west . No BLM lands , very small USFS lands , US department of defense lands are as large as National forest . Will have to learn who to smooze for access to property . From a business opportunity it would seem to be a good fit , especially if your company is closing the entity here in CA . It would be a tough decision for me even as F***ed up California can be . However the fishing along the Atlantic seaboard is phenomenal . Good luck with the decision , hope to get a chance to fish with you again before . Bill

13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,349
    Take me.

14. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,057
    Maybe consider selling your house after you have moved if you take the new opportunity.

You won’t have to deal with the constant viewing requests, leaving the property to accommodate buyers, strangers looking at your personal belongings, and the headache of keeping the home in a constant good showing condition. Are the beds made? Kitchen clutter put away? Hide my expensive things? Toilets clean? Etc.

Vacant homes are also easier to show for potential buyers.

Flexibility in viewing time ensures max exposure.

Empty homes are better for the eyes too. Buyers can easily picture home decorations in their heads.

The downside is continual payments of property tax, utilities, mortgage, HOA, etc. So you might be tied up on both ends after 60 days.

In anyway, congrats on the new opportunity. The perks sounds mighhty nice! Can’t go wrong with either choices, so best of luck in your selection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,729
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Console? You are escaping! I hope to do the same some day! I spent 5 years in the south, takes some getting used to. When driving out in the country you give a one-finger salute to every driver you meet. (different finger that Ca or NY.) Life is slower, fishing is mostly free! Congratulations!

edit: The weather outside just reminded me, it rains a lot back there!
    edit #2: Don't worry, you will get used to the humidity. (no...no you won't!)

#15 fisheromen, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    Run and don't look back. San Diego's glory days are gone. This is the perfect time to go.

I love my city but this is not the city I grew up in. I am over the new San Diego, the crowding, traffic, rude and mean people, the over regulation. When we moved recently I got as far away as my roommate would agree to (local mountains). Hoping to go further next time.

17. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    We wave at everyone here in Imperial Valley too. Especially if they are driving a white pickup.
    I used to have a prostaff member that guided for tarpon of the Georgia Coast. Sent me a lot of photos of 100# fish.

18. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Hey....we’re friendly and wave in Imperial Valley.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many