May be leaving San Diego after 25 yrs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by agrazela, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,601
  2. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Name:
    Ray
    It is not just the great bass fishing. The inland fishing for Sea Trout and Red fish is awesome. Toss in flounder, sheepshead and snook and you have extremely good table fare. And if you like excitement Tarpon, King Mackerel and acres of bonito and skip jack. Move off shore and the snapper, grouper, cobia, amberjack, trigger fish, triple tail, tuna, wahoo and billfish are all prevalent.

Now we can add the blue and stone crab, slipper and spiny lobster, oysters, clams and super sweet bay scallops. And my favorite...shrimp. You can bait shrimp in Florida and once you get it figured out you can get a 5 gallon bucket in short order.

And if you hunt...wild hogs, deer, alligator and game birds. All this with very little crowds, long seasons, and cheap license fees.

Now for the other side of the coin. Florida is not for the week. It gets really HOT most of the year and stays hot well into November. If it stings, bites, slithers and can eat you it lives in Florida.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

Haven’t been posting (or fishing) much, as I’ve been traveling almost nonstop for work last few months...including spending a paid-for week in Atlanta with my wife checking out neighborhoods, proximity to work and fishing (lakes / streams). So far we’ve got it narrowed to Smyrna, Vinings, East Cobb or Roswell. Anything else we checked out is either too far from work, way out of my price range(Buckhead) or too remote and “underdeveloped” (I.e., no parks, restaurants, places to shop, places for my wife and nephew to find work, medical proximity for MIL, etc.)

(Also got to spend a weekend with my Dad and my brothers’ families in DE to break the news...all are thrilled)

More info about this opportunity: our corporate HQ is already in Atlanta, all our bean counters and corporate honchos are already there. I’m being tapped to open and run our new Customer Technical Services lab there.

(Sadly, lab here is closing down. Of the 30 people offered moving deals, only 3–including me—are taking. Most non-takers are either ready to retire, have young kids in school, or—like me—their spouse is far and away primary breadwinner)

Already know many of the HQ folks, and got to meet many more. Turns out that: my bay boat CC is the perfect vessel for the large local lakes (Allatoona, Lanier); and, those guys regularly put together 6- or 12-pack charters on the Gulf coast and the Carolina coast, and are always looking for takers. So it looks like I won’t lack for fishing opportunities.

Also spent time negotiating my deal; promotion and 35% pay raise (from 25%) effective immediately (not after the move), up to 3 two-week paid trips to continue house-hunting / neighborhood scoping / keeping tabs on lab construction, all household goods, cars and boat shipped and stored, moving bonus upped to 6 months’ salary (from 4), now up to 3 months’ living expenses while final house hunting after the move. And still all closing costs, etc. on both ends paid. All in all, a good deal.

And personally / financially, I can now foresee the potential to one day actually retire, instead of dropping dead on the job at 70+.

Still got about 12-14 months here, so planning to make the most of it—that is, when I’m not working to get my house market-ready, attending graduations and weddings, and traveling more than ever to take up the slack for co-workers who are already making tracks for the door.

#23 agrazela, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881

5. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    i totally see peoples point about leaving san diego. high rents and real estate prices , but if your one of the lucky ones where you came when prices were cheap, and your place is paid for , i believe you would have to be crazy to go to Georgia, or any where else in the south, watching a bassfishing show on TV , its not showing you the Bugs the size of cars. look at the stuff that happens to Texas weekly, and there property taxes are 3 percent. 9,000.00 per year no thanks. 100 days of a 100 degrees.
    san diego prices are what they are for a reason, its paradise mountains, desert, ocean off shore fishing like no other.
    i have met up with people that have moved away , and came back in the grocery store, and they had to move into a apartment now after selling there home and its 100,00 more then when they sold.
    you had some good advise , it was priceless advise.

good luck with your adventure.
    grass always looks greener, even to me. its a big step.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,886
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    fishnfreak ... Almost voted a disagree on you there.. Our fishing here is a total joke compared to almost anywhere else in the country. Reds, jacks and specks compared with spotties? Bass fishing SDC compared to almost anywhere? Even our trash fish suck compared to almost anywhere in the south.. A twelve lb carp vs a 100# buffalo? A 5lb channel cat vs a 30# gar? Come on now.. And that isn't mentioning 25# drum, or the ten foot sharks you can target from shore...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    OK .
    fishing dorado, yellowfin and yellowtail, offshore kelp patties marlin isn't fishing. im not talking mission bay , offshore the white sea bass fishing off the coast in spring time . 200 lb bluefin off Catalina the 43 spot. there aint nobody wanting to eat carp ,
    the endless miles of world class fishing in mexico, just a boat ride away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,812
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    And it's a WET heat!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Name:
    Kyle
    Honestly speaking, the fishing in SoCal doesn't hold a candle compared to Florida.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,514
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Well, you, (and others) have laid out compelling reasons for making the move. What's the upside of staying? Sunshine dollars only go so far... (I'd probably make the jump, but my wife is a SD native and pretty set in her career). I've lived here 25 yrs and find myself wishing to "downsize" more and more often. Someplace with fewer people, more elbow room, slower pace, etc. Hate to say it, but I don't find SD to be a particularly friendly place either -- compared to other parts of the country I've lived in. Ah well, it's home for now... (Besides, somebody's got to provide the "crash pad" when friends/family come to visit from other parts!).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    I've lived in many different places and states when growing up so that kinda cured my itch for moving now that I'm unemployed. Do to my wife's past medical bills we had to refinance to pay them but my house payment is only $804 per month.
    Seattle, humidity sucks in the summer, then all of that snow in the winter.
    Alaska, fishing was great but the mosquitoes would black out the sky. LOL.
    Key West I really liked, but again enough with the humidity.
    Montana is nice lots of places to fish, but the property taxes will kill you.
    Maybe if I lived in a crowded city I would want to leave. But we live in a simi-rural area with neighbors not so close. No sidewalks, street lights, etc. Bobber knows about that.
    Good luck agrazela with your move, that package would of been hard to pass up.
    Just my two cents.

#31 Larry M, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    San Diego has been a good time, I'll readily admit. And I got to do most of the stuff I've wanted to do while out here: be a young man living by the beach (OB in the early 90's was cheap!), marry a good woman, buy (some of) a home, travel around the West, captain my own little fishing boat on the Pacific, see my kids get into good colleges.

But we are...and frankly have always been...just barely keeping our heads above water here. Indeed, even without this move, I'd likely have been forced to ask for a promotion to stay on, or to look for something else. And that something else, like with this opportunity, would have to be somewhere other than San Diego. There just isn't anything else here in my industry that would support us. Getting my wife to finally admit how unsustainable San Diego is for us was the biggest hurdle to getting her buy-in for a move, she does friggin' love it here.

It may be possible to find a job in LA or SF, but those places are even more expensive--and for many reasons, less attractive to me--than SD. Most of the jobs in my industry are clustered around Chicago, Minneapolis, or the NYC/NJ metro area. But my wife's done her time in Chicago, and I've done mine in NJ. Neither of us is champing at the bit to go back to those places.

So I figure, might as well go someplace new to us both, with a good-paying job lined up, all moving expenses paid, etc., etc. Not too far from good fishing and vacationing opportunities, and a big improvement in our financial situation. In just the one week we spent there, we found a number of neighborhoods with the combination of housing, community and commute we are looking for. And just as importantly, we were able to cross a goodly number of neighborhoods off the list for lacking in these areas. And the Atlanta climate is not completely foreign to me...I grew up in Delaware, which is itself a humid, mosquito-ridden swamp. It amazed me just how similar Atlanta and Delaware looked and felt.

What's more, I forgot to mention I found out that one of my nephews is considering UGA vs Fla on a baseball scholarship, and one of my brothers is looking at moving to Tampa. Also, my older daughter (the one who likes to fish!) is considering Carolina, Georgia and Florida medical schools after taking a "gap year" research gig at Berkeley (didn't get in to any of the med schools she applied for this time around). So I could wind up with family reasonably close by.

Ultimately, I'd be perfectly happy to stay on with the company another 15-20 years until retirement if everything works out. For now, it's contractually just a two-year commitment--so if things don't work out, perhaps I'll look for work with one of our distributors when an amenable territory opens up; I work and travel with them all the time as it is, they are jam-packed with former co-workers of mine with whom I get along well. Or we'll crawl back to NJ and just be poor again.

While I'll likely never live here again, I'm sure I'll be back to visit the Golden State. Still got friends in SD, and relatives (well, wife's relatives) in SF and LA, and who knows where my kids will eventually settle.

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    agrazela. Best wishes to you and your family.
    Don't be a stranger, keep those post coming.
    Even though I don't get to fish that much, I do like reading what's happening out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Agrazela, you sound like a smart guy, I'm not a religious Guy, but in my lifetime things seem to work out for a reason , doors just open up , out of no where
    fishing is a sport and you will find a nice new spot to enjoy.
    my only advise to you would be when times are good save your money, when times go south invest your money, its hard for folks to spend when the sky is falling but thats the differents between rich and poor.