May never be the same

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by twnoel111, Apr 4, 2021.

1. twnoel111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +770
    Name:
    Tom
    Have been hitting up Lake Hodges as of late hoping to hook up with another pb in this lake. I have been fishing here for years and its been rough some years but overall a pretty damn good lake for bass. I was here this last Saturday with my boat fishing this time the Del Dios side of the lake all the way down by the dam. The Wednesday before my friend got a nice 5 Lb+ fish by the buoy line on a senco. I only got two dinks and missed maybe one bite. I was a
    little frustrated and was heading back to boat ramp about 10:30 a,m and saw a couple nice fish being boated but not the action I'm use to having this time of year. The huge thing I noticed was the vast amount of spawning areas fully exposed and dry now. I was hoping this year Lake Hodges would hold more water for the spawn. Little did i realize that a mandate that the water level in the lake only be up on the dam so far because it was built so long ago and they dont want a failure so thats why they have been taking water out and keeping it so low. Its really to bad that we are losing or maybe have lost this premier big bass lake because there is no place for the fry to have a chance to get to even be bass before they are eaten by predators. It makes me sad that we cant manage our fisheries here in SoCal better. ...........Anyone know if San V is open tomorrow Monday? I am thinking of heading down there early with my little boat. If it is and someone wants to meet that knows the lake I have an empty seat . PM me if you want to fish in early morning

2. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,064
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Poor water quality is the limiting factor at Hodges not spawning. They can make billions of babies but when the lake stratifies and there is no oxygen below 8’ carrying capacity is limited....But...it’s also what grows Hodges’ bass bigger than most other lakes. Crappie too.

#2 Queue, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
  4. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,064
    Boat:
    SR-18
    As it was explained to me, unfortunately the speece cone oxygenation system’s effects really only reach the area around the pump back storage with Olivenhein.

5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,260
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    So you're saying I shouldn't fish spoons in 40' of water!

6. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,059
    I remember while living in south Florida and fishing the local bass waters reading an article in Sports Afield or Field and Stream in 1985 about the next record LMB to break George Perry's in 1932 was going to be from Lake Hodges. When I got to SD in 1997 the first water I fished was Lake Hodges off Del Dios in my new tube. Was only catching dinks then and decided to start local salt water fishing. But I do remember looking at the news with water pouring over the dam during the heavy rains at that time.

7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
    Depends. Stratification predicts that you will not catch bass in 40' of water on the bottom during midsummer when you can see a thermocline on the depthfinder and the water is murky. If the water is clear, there won't be as much decaying algae consuming the oxygen below the thermocline plus there will be weeds to generate oxygen below the thermocline if the water is clear.

Lakes like Otay, Murray, Miramar and San Vicente are clear enough that there can still be bass below the thermocline. Hodges will be clear some days and pea soup other days. Plants tend to clear the water up (especially tules for San Diego). Agricultural runoff is high in phosphates and that causes algae blooms. Hodges is below the San Pasqual Valley with quite a bit of agriculture there. Low water levels generally cause murky water, maybe due to the high amounts of fine sediment there.

Algae blooms at Hodges get so severe that they stop drawing water from it since it would taste bad. https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/lhr-water-quality-study.pdf

upload_2021-4-5_5-1-18.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. William Campbell

William Campbell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +393
  9. VCC

VCC
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    in the 80's Larry Bottroff told us he shocked up the worlds record in Hodges, this was back when they tracked the creel numbers and really took care of the lakes. I would not be surprised to see the tules start growing along the shore line like the old days. as long as the water level stays consistent, look at lake Wohlford it is all tules know because they are in the same boat as Hodges.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    I don’t know about right now, but in the recent past i came up with a theory after fishing some tourneys there. My observations: the lake has no dinks. There are zero small bass in the lake. I don’t care how ****ty the conditions are, there isn’t another lake in this county that I could fish 8 hours in a night Tourney and two people don’t even get bit once. Daytime, zero small fish. What was there in RIDICULOUS numbers; cormorants. Hundreds and hundreds of cormorants. Now I’m no biologist, but those birds are straight fish eaters. They obviously aren’t eating any trout in there. It seemed very clear to me that small yearling fish don’t have much of a chance in that lake, unless they were on the Del dios side with all the tulies, bushes and rocks to hide. Forget water quality, any small fish in that lake have no chance at survival

11. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    Now maybe that, in conjunction with the said water quality issues, meant the smaller fish were also limited in hiding spaces. If they couldn’t be much deeper than 8’, the likelihood they get picked off is probably very high

12. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +996
    I'd definitely agree with Queue. Besides there's a natural case study just over the hill at Wohlford. It's been low for years and years for the same reason, the dam needs to be repaired, and it still kicks out DDs no problem.