MB 3/17 - Huge Numbers, Not a lot of Quality

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Craig Young, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Craig Young

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +280
    Headed out today at the tail end of the rain. 5.7' high tide at 9:50a.m. going to a -.4' low at 4:15p.m. Started fishing right at 10:15a.m. Fished until 4:15p.m.

6 hrs. 52 spotties, 2 sand bass. Hourly splits were: 5, 8, 10, 10, 12, 9.

Started with the Ned rig, since there was little wind and the tide hadn't started moving out yet. Got my first 9 on Ned, and probably around 13 total on it. Once the wind picked up and the tide started moving for real, switched to curly tails.

First 2 fish of the day were solid, then no real quality until around 2:45p.m. -3:15p.m. Got those casting right to shore, on the outside of the first weed line, which was now exposed by the nearly low tide.

It was basically wide open the entire time. Had an efficient outing. The wind was threatening to be a little much, but held steady and was enough to move my kayak at a perfect drifting pace.

There is an unusually thick grass bed offshore, in the area I fish. I just kept moving between the edge of that and the weed line at the shore. If I wasn't getting bit in one area, I quickly paddled to the other and was able to keep the bite going constantly.

Wrapped up right at the low tide. Left 'em biting, which I hate to do, but had to take off.

Pictured are a nice spotty and an adorable sand bass, which fit comfortably in the palm of my hand. Lol.

-Craig

20180317_135840.jpg

20180317_144057.jpg

2. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Nice! I've been thinking about trying the ned rig myself after hearing everything about it. Is there a particular habitat/set of conditions in which you throw it or is it more of a go-to technique?

3. Islandia

Islandia Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    How successful can this rig be from shore? Great report, sounds like an epic day on the water.

4. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,360
    Epic MB sesh right there!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Craig Young

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +280
    I use it mostly when there is not a lot of water flow, in shallower water, and I like to use it at night. The very light jig head causes the bait to fall slowly and flutter. If the bite is slow or a more delicate presentation is required, it is a great option.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Craig Young

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +280
    I do not fish from shore but I bet it could be very effective. I usually go with a 1/8oz jig head and I'm able to cast it pretty far with my baitcaster. I don't think distance is an issue. The only problem I can think of is the possibility of being prevented from casting it "upstream" since you're somewhat confined from shore. The Ned rig is light so it's important to be in touch with it and not have it swept by you in any current.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Islandia

Islandia Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    Thanks for the response. I bought the 1/8 weedless Ned Rig by ZMan and some Stick -O's from Bass Pro.