MB and Mission Jetty - New Fisherman (no) luck fish report - 01/27-02/02

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by projectman, Feb 2, 2021.

1. projectman

projectman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355
    Name:
    C Cat
    Evening Gentlemen,

I'm a new here and thanks already to advice from everyone in the forums as I read old threads. I'm not new to fishing but new to fishing in San Diego. I've learned the little I know between youtube and SD fish over the past two weeks (Spider hitch rig, carolina rig, LC lure, palomar knot, etc). I've been a surfer in SD but need another hobby as WFH continues.

So I built my rig about a week ago and have been hitting MB and south mission beach hard with two a days. Every session I learn more about tides, location, and bait but the fish and progress have been slow. I've been catching mostly seaweed, so i'm wondering, is fishing slow or please send some advice my way.

Here's the report:
    wont even post 01/27 to 01/30 because that wasnt productive
    01/30- Mission Jetty to South Mission Beach - 8am-10:30am (Surf Fishing) - High Tide - Carolina Rig with Muscle - Skunked
    01/31 - Mission Jetty to South Mission Beach - 8am-10:30am (Surf Fishing) - High Tide - Carolina Rig with Muscle - Skunked
    01/31 - Mission Point Park - 5:30pm-7pm - Low Rising Tide - Carolina Rig with Shrimp - 1 SBB and a tiny sculpin
    02/01 - Mission Jetty to South Mission Beach - 11am-12pm - High Tide (5'+) - Surf Fishing with LC Lure - Skunked
    02/01 - Mission Point Park - 7pm-8:30pm - Low Rising Tide - Carolina Rig with Shrimp - 1 SBB
    02/02 - Walked Mariners Point- 6:30pm-8:30pm- Low Rising Tide- Carolina Rig with shrimp -- SKUNKED

anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and fill everyone in on the adventure.
    best,
    projectman

fish01.jpg fish 02.jpg fish 03.jpg

2. MrMajors

MrMajors Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    I’m brand new to SDFish as well. Literally got my account approved today. But I’ll still be the first to welcome you. I’m no pro but I can tell you the one thing that got me on fish was time. Getting to know the areas you’re fishing. How to fish the different lures and once you figure out the bite for that specific area at that specific time, keep on it till the bite slows. Cover ground as well. Fan cast and if you’re not getting hit then cruise down 15-20 yards and get after it again. That’s my two cents. There are others on here with significantly more knowledge than me but hey... works for me. Still learning as well

3. projectman

Ratings:
    +355
    Name:
    C Cat
    MrMajor - Thanks for the reply man and advice. 100 percent agree with putting in the time and trying to cover ground. Every time I go out I know its worth while because i'm improving my knots, casting, technique, learning spots etc.

red dots are the spots I covered tonight...I was the only person out there fishing..maybe that was a hint spots for tonight.JPG

4. MrMajors

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Could be a sign. But at the same time you could just take it as a gift from the fishing gods that you’ve got the entire shore to yourself. Haha!

What kind of setup are you working with? It took me a while to find a setup that works for me and how to use it.

5. projectman

Ratings:
    +355
    Name:
    C Cat
    agreed, nothing better than the peaceful night on the bay.

For the set-up, I'm working with a Penn pursuit 4000 combo with 15# mono with a 15# fluro leader ~18in. The carolina rig with 1 ounce weight and a 2 mosquito hook and using frozen shrimps for bait.

6. MrMajors

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Seems like it’d work fine. Only thing I might suggest is lighter line. I’m about to make the move to braid/flouro leader. Some of my better sessions were on a full spool of 8lb mono. The chances of getting broken off aren’t too big of a gamble unless you hook up on a ray but if you’re not soakin bait you should be fine.

My go to is a Daiwa Saltist 3000 paired with a 7’6” Daiwa Back Bay med/hvy extra fast. I chuck a lot of irons...

7. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Hospitality and Quivira Points are also really good spots to give a go to. Hospitality tends to get some traffic since the south jetty is there, but Quivira is usually just some homeless folks, hotel employees, and maybe one other angler. And you can get some decent action there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. powaynubs

powaynubs slappos
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +709
    Welcome to both of you. i hope you find your stay here to be pleasant. As to your question, fishing is pretty slow right now in my opinion, but I haven't actually been fishing for awhile as I'm waiting for the water to clear up and what not. This is pretty self explanatory, but you want to usually have a target fish in mind when fishing. Just throwing a bait out and hoping something will bite doesn't always work. As to fishing the South Jetty, I've come to know that place really well. If you want quantity, then using cut shrimp and working bait in between the rocks works well. The fish usually won't be big but you'll catch plenty of different species (I've caught sculpin, bass, rockfish, opaleye, lobster and even octopus using this method. The variety at the jetty is out there) If you want quality, and maybe something to eat, then going further out onto the jetty will do the trick. You'll have to experiment and learn what works over time, but cut shrimp is the best universal bait in my humble opinion. Most others might agree with me too.
    If you want to work the rocks, tying dropper loops is probably the best bet. A carolina rig would be a mess, as crashing waves would snag the hook or weight in any crevice within the rocks. Dropper loops keep the line upright, and snagging is a lot less likely.
    There's a couple threads outlining habitats and different zones for different fish, looking around the forums gives great insight into alot of topics. I've personally been considering mapping the entire South Jetty, and finding the zones that species prefer, as well as other factors. Just waiting for that barge to be done with whatever it's doing.
    Stay patient as well, and eventually you'll find what you're looking for. Tight lines

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,297
    Looks like shrimp is the clear winner in this sample size. Size down your hook to 6 or smaller. You fished at sunrise right after a full moon, which may have added to why it was slow. Keep that fishing log going and you'll be slaying in no time like the pros here. I have a blank journal somewhere in the garage, which is why I suck. Good luck, and keep at it.

8cb21a29d12cb1a884e02525942c3e6d.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +780
    On Sunday I fished Quivira point off the rocks with a small piece of shrimp on a size 6-8 hook with a tiny split shot. Went with my brother right before the highest tide of the day (less rock hopping) and looked for deeper rocky areas to cast to. Ended up with a bunch of small calicos, a couple opaleye, and a couple buttermouth perch. Chances are if it is clear out you will be able to see Garibaldi swimming around, where they hang out is usually where other fish will be. I like to cast just past the structure, let my bait sink all the way, and then twitch it back towards me getting closer and closer to the rocks and structure down below. I try to keep my bait from sitting in one spot for too long to avoid getting pulled into snags. Just bring your bait through the strike zone by that deeper structure and you will get bites. I have found that this strategy works pretty well, like powaynubs said the fish aren’t huge but the action can get really good at times it just takes a little practice. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,147
    Welcome to the madness!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bienvenidos a la locura? Lol

projectman ... Carolina rig is ok if you're casting out onto the flat. For the rocks, SH rig is king, IMO. Use a fire pit nail for weight for snag resistance. Toss some chum too. Doesn't need to be fancy, old bread, leftovers from the rice cooker, a hamburger your kid didn't finish, whatever. Get that material down into the rocks and get those fish feeding in front of you. If they aren't biting within a couple minutes, move. When they are around, they will feed and feed hard, when they aren't, might as well urinate into a strong headwind. Fresh bait is key, absolutely key. If you keep the bait, weight and line small/light enough, you will absolutely hammer them. 15# is about as heavy as I would go, when it's time to replace your line (do so often), you might think about 12#. Also, you might think about a second setup, something a bit lighter, maybe 8-10# mono on a longer rod, 8-10', but that's a different thing entirely...

13. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Could go the extra mile from what Werfless suggests, and get yourself a cane pole, and set that up with some 8-10lb. I've got a 30' currently and that thing is a hoot to fish with lol. Really works well for getting your bait exactly where you need it. I use a 10' for close in work too if I have them feeding in close enough.

14. MrMajors

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    :emoji_call_me::emoji_call_me:
    That sounds like a blast!

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Where did you get the 10M pole and how much did it run you?

16. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Thats me being stupid, its a 7.2m LOL $35 on Amazon. I had been looking at a few different 10m though, and thats probably why my brain got mixed up.

17. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    It really is. Its a different way of fishing from the normal and helps to keep things exciting. And in the case of my daughter, I can hand her the 10' and she can pick fish off left right and center so long as I keep the hook baited for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MrMajors

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Sounds kid friendly too. No moving parts. Ha

19. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Thats why I give her that as opposed to a rod and reel lol

20. MrMajors

Ratings:
    +881
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Makes sense to me. Where do you fish with that setup?