MB grunion run report 7/7/2020

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Swgityswag, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Swgityswag

Swgityswag Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Went out to MB and the grunions were definitely there. However, a bunch of ding dongs was also there shining their flashlight directly into the water so no big orgies, more small quickies across the beach. Put a couple of them on a Carolina rig and tossed them out but didn't get anything. Bigger fish was also there for sure. Couldn't tell what they were but like 10 bigger fish grazed my foot. Side note the male grunions r a bunch of dicks lol. Quite a couple times the females are laying eggs and the males are all curled up next to them and as soon as danger approaches the males are just like see ya, anyway, see ya. Kinda reminds me of coach's jokes lol. I would imagine the joke would be something like this in this context:
    the scout grunion is like alright men, we got about a five-minute window to breach the beach and do our thing. It's now or never.
    The male grunions are just like aight, so we just need to u know, do the thing, so what are we supposed to do with the leftover 4 and half minutes *high fives each other with their little fishie fins*

But in all seriousness do they make good bait for shark and rays? I feel like they work about as well as smelt would but I have never caught a shark or ray on smelt. Oh wait, I have never caught a shark or ray.... feels bad man...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +823
    Theres a reason people stock up their freezers with em :emoji_wink: for future outings

3. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks dude. I probs going to head out to del mar inlet tomorrow with some of these forzen grunions. Will probs cut some up and put them in the crab trap bait box thingy and just yeet the box out there as far as I could. Will report back

4. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    FYI it's technically illegal to use live grunion as bait during the runs for some reason; a lot of people do it but be careful as DFWG can ticket u for it.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Removed that law some time ago...

6. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Good to know. Might have to try it out the next run

7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Fly lining frozen or fresh dead Grunion can be hard to beat around some of the reef /sand interface areas . Toss them into the holes and let it drift . Two of the three halibut 5 fish limits from the beach I have seen happened this way . Just saying . It is tough pulling the stringer in the skinny water a couple miles iI will say . WR

8. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks citruspirate.22148 for the heads up lol and thanks coach for the insight.