MB Jetty 4/24

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by powaynubs, Apr 24, 2021.

1. powaynubs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +734
    Been so long since I made a post I almost forgot how to. Went out to the jetty yesterday after dropping some folks off at the airport. Got there around 4:15. Pretty chilly and windy but the tide was low so I took my chances. Someone told me that my favorite sculpin spot was destroyed by the barge, but much to my surprise it's untouched. Did my usual thing and hooked up quickly on an average sized rock wrasse. Nothing new, but strange enough I've never caught a rock wrasse from the jetty, so was pretty exciting. Unfortunately the wind was really magnifying the incoming tide, and most of my normal sculpin spots were inaccessible or dangerous as a result. I pressed my luck and stayed at that spot for about 2 hours before calling it quits, as it seemed I caught the only fish in the ocean then and there.
    On the way back to the car I hit a cropping of rocks that looked promising, got in a 30 minute game of chicken with what I thought would be a better fish, before pulling up a sculpin. As is tradition, I held it in a very uncomfortable position while taking my photos. Little bugger wasn't even hooked, he was just so mad at my shrimp that he held on even while being pulled out of the water.
    Not a great day, I can attribute it slightly to the rain we had, as I usually have terrible luck for about 3-5 days after a rainstorm. Better than staying home though for sure.

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

2. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,092
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    I'm impressed you've never caught a wrasse from the jetty; those things are everywhere

3. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,991
    That looks like a great way to get a nice sting in from the sculpin right there lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. powaynubs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +734
    give me a week and i'll do it again...

5. powaynubs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +734
    i've caught my fair share around dana, as well as the other jetty. usually in very shallow and calm water, never seen them at my sculpin spot at the very least

6. Ike Short

Ike Short Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Name:
    Ike Short
    cranky sculpin chose violence on that shrimp

7. martyborboa

martyborboa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Used to catch 12 - 15 inch Rock Wrasse casting ghost shrimp from Mission Point far into the channel toward the opening to Quivera Basin. The larger ones have more aquamarine-blue coloring. Nice catch!

8. MrDrew

MrDrew Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +439
    Good report.... sounds like one of mine lol! One of these days I will have to join you down there.

9. Big Money Jonah

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +938
    Big rock wrasse are great fighters. That’s a ‘trash fish’ I never mind catching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List