MB jetty and surf 9/11

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by JWBee, Sep 11, 2019.

1. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Fished the jetty from 9-11 hoping the bonito would show. No luck. Threw a few krocs, and a yozuri hydro minnow. Was able to chum in a lot of bait fish with some old instant oatmeal but that didn’t help.

Afterwards I hit the surf. Had higher hopes after seeing tons of birds crashing behind the breakers and a bunch of small schools of bait fish in the shallows. Couldn’t tell what they were but some were sardine size, maybe grunion? Also saw a few corbina but couldn’t find any decent size sand crabs to target them. Anyways, I threw the Kroc from the jetty to just before Belmont park parking lot. No bites. Then worked my way back to south mission with a Carolina rigged camo sand worm, a few bites but no hookups. Got back to the truck at 2.

Conditions were great. No salad, water was warm. Surf/current wasn’t bad. Wind picked up a little bit towards the end. Didn’t find any big sand crabs but didn’t look too hard. Looks like the conditions will be great for an evening sesh, seems like there’s a lot of life out there despite the skunk.
    -jack

2. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,221
    Yea, I was in MB earlier and I got the same impression. Saw some mullet jumping, plenty of corbina, I imagine this evening it'll be great.