1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

MB Skiff session 6/10

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by kingkao, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM.

1. kingkao

kingkao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +371
    Finally got a chance to post from busy schedule. Went skiffing this past Sunday. Heard that skiff prices will be increase to $90 for full and $65 for half from Seaforth sometime this month. You get a discount of 20% if you reserve online. I came at the right time before they increased it so I only paid 69. I stopped using Dana cus they already increase their prices.

Well.. onto fising. Got out on the water at 7:45 am. stopped near bait barge to rig up my rods. Current was strong and kept pushing out even with anchor. My wife came along.. I thought she would help out but nope. She brought a bag full of her stuff (snacks, books, etch) and just took up the middle seating area and lounged. This meant I had to navigate around her to drop anchor, pull up anchor and go back and start the motor and everything. Tried to ask her for help but she would be me that look like... what do you expect me to do? So I just had to deal with it

Tried around the barge for a bit but no bite so I moved out into the channel and headed towards bridge near Dana. Fished there with zoom white fluke. Caught a okay sized spottie. Then I moved to my fav spot near Sea world near Perez cove. There I caught a few spotties. Stayed there for two hours just drifting and fishing. The drift was strong pulling me towards fiesta. After two hours there, the wife needed to use the restrooms so we motored onto South shore to dock. This gave me time to rig one of my spare poles. When she was done I fished from South shore back towards Perez cove. I spent many times just re-positioning the boat as it kept being pushed towards fiesta. We probably stayed in that area till 1pm. Caught a few more spotties.

From there we went back fish near Ventura cove towards Dana. But had to make another pitstop for the wife at Dana dock where we were greeted by the one-eye seal. We headed back to the center between Ventura cove and Dana. On my first cast using a white gulp mullet towards Ventura cove, I hit some thick weeds and then BAM got hit hard. This spottie was a fighter, wasn't like any of the other ones and put up more of a fight pulling drag. When I got him up to the boat... he was larger than any of the other ones I caught that day. After that I let him go and then threw this time towards Dana side, another big hit... as I pulled this one closer the hook got loose and I lost that big one.

I decided then to switch to using an A-rig. With every cast of my a-rig I was catching spotties left and right. I even caught one by his tail because he got hooked going for one of the hooks and missed and the tail got snagged. At this point the Misses was bored and wanted to head back. So we went back. I did one loop around the bait barge. Caught a few mackerel with my A-rig and 1 spottie. Then we called it a day.

IMG_20180610_140436.jpg IMG_20180610_140443.jpg IMG_20180610_142103.jpg IMG_20180610_142155.jpg IMG_20180610_143013.jpg IMG_20180610_144410.jpg IMG_20180610_145233.jpg

#1 kingkao, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:25 PM
    • Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. FOE_RUNNER

FOE_RUNNER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Nice!!! Do you think Dana will be increasing their skiff prices as well?

3. FOE_RUNNER

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Never mind. Just read the first paragraph. That sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. kingkao

Ratings:
    +371
    Yeah Dana was the first place I checked because I usually reserve there but their prices have already went up. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,216
    What are the prices now? I know they upgraded their motors to the yamaha’s and its a dayam fine upgrade.

6. kingkao

Ratings:
    +371
    When I checked it is 60/half and 90/full and when you check out online... they add on an extra $5 fee.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. FOE_RUNNER

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Dammit... well, I’m sure they had to do what they needed to... it won’t stop us from renting... right?

8. kingkao

Ratings:
    +371
    Indeed. I spoke with Seaforth and they said in a week or two we can finally reserve skiffs online. No more first come first serve. In addition they will give you a 20% discount for doing online reservations. I guess that beats paying Dana $95 when Seaforth will give you a reservation discount. :emoji_grin:

9. FOE_RUNNER

Ratings:
    +1,037
    That is a plus!!! #upgradedmotors

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. inthedeep2

inthedeep2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Coronado seaforth already raised prices, half their skiffs are inop.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  11. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,216
    That place is the worst operation, i dunno how they stay in business. Plus they dont open till 9 AM. Absolute slow POS boats. Dont even bother, took me almost 2 hours to get to the coronado ferry pier from their docks. And you gonna tell me your taxing more of my money for no maintenance done on the boats???? Soft *** floors on them also gets me sketched out. Just why would you go there?

12. Fins in the Bin

Ratings:
    +48
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Time for you guys to buy your own skiffs and let the real addiction begin.....your already making the payments at $90.00 a pop X twice a month or more? Used skiffs are $1-3K depending how nice you want it...you wont regret it!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  13. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,206
    Davies Locker up in Newport cost 125 for a half day and like 155 for a full day on a skiff... its a joke

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,589
    Yeah, last time at Dana I was like, what??

15. kingkao

Ratings:
    +371
    Agree with you there. Been scouring for a decent skiff or Boston Whaler. Now the issue is to convince the wife to let me purchase one since she veto NO to me owning a kayak so far. :emoji_sweat_smile:

16. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,216
    Exactly this. I hear theres good action up there, but valuing their skiffs equivalent to overnight charter status is a bunch of bs and bad business. I dont wanna fish a bay that bad

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,206
    Yeah it sucks. Been up here for about two years and every time I think about it I just get on an overnight boat. Headed out on Thursday night on the El Dorado for 150.... not sure if I’m going to fish or just get as far away from work as possible...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Valco14

Valco14 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    True Dat. I bought a fixer and worked on it for a few months in the driveway. Call me Mr Skiff :emoji_grinning: