MCR tubers tournament

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by transplant, May 15, 2009.

1. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I was thinking of organizing a 5 fish tournament for tubers at MCR. I have some ideas on how it could work if there was any interest. I thought if might be kind of fun for the guys that like to fish there.
    Depending on the amount of interest we could either randomly draw to see who would go east or west, or we could just let people pick on their own. Also I have thought about the weighing in thing. My idea is, and mind you this requires honesty, that everyone would have a digital camera and a digital scale. They would simply take a picture of their fish on the scale with the readout and the person with the heaviest 5 fish wins. We could do something simple like a $10 entry fee and I could see if any tackle stores would want to donate any items or schwag. This is all just an idea and I am open to any suggestions or changes. Just curious if there is any interest before I try to set it up.

2. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    I'm down, let's do this.

3. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Cool, you want to help me organize it? We just need to set a date and scrounge up maybe 10-15 more guys. Any input on how it should run?

4. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    I'd be happy to do what I can. I don't have a whole lot of free time.

I'm sure you will get more responses to this thread, just give it some more time. I think if you had around 8-10 guys it would be a decent first effort, especially since MCR is a fairly small spot.

It'd be nice to have a traditional weigh-in, but I don't know where you'd do it at MCR.

5. 619FishingFreak

619FishingFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    uhm... on the east side of mcr there is a parking lot rite on the river. not sure if you would want to weigh-in in a parking lot but where else would u?

6. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Could you use bags with the float tubes for the fish? The weigh in is the hard part that I am trying to figure out. I would love to do a traditional weigh in, I just dont want to have to kill the fish to do it. Any Ideas.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you were to throw a tourney at MCR with a traditional weigh in, my guess would be that 80-90% of the bass wouldn't survive. But then again, MCR is way over populated with pounders.

8. Fishhawk

Fishhawk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The tournament is a good idea, I like the scale and picture idea, but trying to bag all the fish for a weigh-in at the end of day without a good livewell might not be, you know you wouldn't want to kill fish. Maybe have teams of two where one could take a pic of the other...or if not teams just float to the closest person and take a pic and confirm the catch. Maybe if you did decide to weigh-in say in the parking lot, you would need to have somebody help and stand-by and they could confirm a catch throughout the day, not just at the days end. Just some ideas...

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested bro I might get couple friends to join but where is MCR?

10. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I think I'm liking the digital camera weigh in the more I think about it. For one we wont kill any fish, and two everyone will be able to fish. We wont need anyone on shore waiting around. I doubt anyone will try to cheat or anything. The only alternative that I can come up with is bags, which will probably kill them or 1970's style stringers, which will definitely kill them. I think we should try the digital camera weigh in and if it is a total disaster we wont do it again. We just need to decide on a date. Maybe first or second saturday in June the 6th or the 13th. We could do it from 7am till 1 or 2pm. By the way MCR is mission center road in mission valley. If this works out maybe we could do some more tubers tournaments elsewhere.

11. DJ Fan

DJ Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. bassaddict

bassaddict Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Boat:
    TUBE
    hell yeah man im down that be sick a tube tournament just let us know was up.

13. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    Re: keeping fish alive, I know of a float tube club that holds tourneys regularly. Their basic livewell setup is one of those mesh pop-up hampers, with some pool noodle pieces zip-tied to the top. You hook it up and drag it around. Plenty of water circulation, and as far as I have heard it works fine. Haven't done it personally though. Maybe a test is in order.

Another thing that would help make it easier on the fish is to limit the time on the water. Four hours maybe?

Either way I'm down. I'm not mad at taking pics of weights or verifying with other contestants at all.

14. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    That is brilliant. I could totally see that working. Just zip tie the laundry bag to the noodle and you have a 5 dollar live well. I say thats the ticket. Great idea man. Any input on the dates I had selected?

15. bassterdSD

bassterdSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    IM DEFINETLEY IN...i agree a whole lot on the time span...4 hours or maybe 5 would be a better decision if we were going to use the laundry bags...but like OL DIRTY BASSER said, gotta put it to the test first...lets try it out b4 the tourny...if it doesnt work out, we will just have to resort on some photo weigh ins...lets just make sure we get some honest bass slayers out there ...THIS WOULD BE SICK...and i gurantee if everything goes cope n steady, this wont be the last...NEXT CHALLENGE...UPPERS BABY!!!!!

16. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I say pictures -
    Teams of two (two people fish a section of the river but weigh in seperate)
    Digital camera (set date and time on camera so it appears on photos)
    Your partner will take two pictures of you. One of you and the fish,the second of the weight and fish.
    I'm in, but i think a make shift livewell is a hassle.

$ 10 entry fee or free....

Must have digital camera.
    And digital scale.

??

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm down. The pic thing sounds cool for like 5 guys but for 10+ might get shady. People get crazy when money is on the table.

18. bassterdSD

bassterdSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    lets set a date for this!!!!!!!

19. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Right now the date is going to be june 6th, which is a saturday. Here is the info and if it does not work then we will adjust it for the next tournament

1. The tournament will be at MCR from 7am-12p.m (potential tailgate bbq afterwards)

2. If my test run goes ok this wednesday, we will do 5 heaviest fish using the water noodle and laundry bag, with a weigh in right before you get out of the water. I built one and I think it is going to work.

3. Check in will be from 6 to 6:45am in the parking below Carls J.R. $10 entry fee with an optional $5 biggest fish pot.

4. Once everyone is checked in the tournament will start at 7a.m.

5. At 12p.m. everyone needs to be at either side of the bridge ready to weigh in. Me and one other person will be there weighing bags as you get out of the water.

6. No live bait, or diving weights :)

These are the rules for this first one. If we need to change some for the next one then we can. The only variation would be if the floating livewell does not work, but ol dirty basser says that other float tube tournaments have done it this way so I don't see a problem. See everyone there!!!

20. DJ Fan

DJ Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The one disadvantage of being a DJ is that Saturday's don't work for me.

Have a good trip, gents.