Mechanic on the Cheap

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Mar 16, 2019.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,716
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I just found out that my tow vehicle needs a "new" rear end! The vehicle is a 1990 Suburban, so it is not worth much. Looking to spend $1000 to change out with a junk yard replacement. I would attempt it but my HOA frowns on such activities.

I'm thinking there might be a mechanic fairly close to the border that might accommodate me. Any leads?

2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,614
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Pass the plate= new tow vehicle!

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,716
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Rethinking this. May give it a shot after all. I will back into my driveway and the HOA Rat Patrol will be none the wiser! Just have to figure out the gear ratio! It is a 4X4 and the front needs to match the back!
    Still looking for feedback from you who have done this.

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +994
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Usually the ratio is printed on a small metal tag on a bolt that retains either the pumpkin or cover . It is usually just slightly faster in the front than the rear for instance 4:10 Front 4:11 rear. May find the tag on the front if misplaced or lost on the rear or look up the build sheet by VIN . What is wrong with the diff , noise , bearings , or did it stop moving / lockup. Also If you decide to go with a scrap yard diff make sure the brakes ETC are identical . Quality Wrecking in Slaughterhouse canyon Lakeside does trucks only , may be a source for you . Will be easier if you have 2 ea floor jacks let me know if you need to borrow one or need help . Bill , Add / Edit if there is an L in front of the printed ratio IE l 4:10 it will be a locker or limited slip diff. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter the forum .

#4 William Ritchie, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,851
    i have duct tape and gorilla glue if you need to borrow any...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +994
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Have always heard sawdust and really heavy gear oil for differentials but have not seen an example of such a cure in the 45 years I was in the Business , Cheers !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,851
    How about brake light fluid?...

8. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,614
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Oooops...I accidentally forwarded this to my neighbor on the Rat Patrol...you'll recognize him...he'll be wearing full camo and be in a tree stand across the street from you! You best be working on that Suburban in your living room! Oh, and about that differential oil stain in the driveway...don't worry, I won't mention it to him.....ooops, just did!

9. temleh

temleh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Boat:
    19 ft kencraft chall
    Contact Pete with Pete’s mobile mechanic. Fully setup truck with crane . He’s a great guy, hard worker and knows his stuff. Pm me for number. He’s from Ramona but now lives down the hill. You won’t regret it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List