Mexican bugs?

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by P1RealFresh, Mar 6, 2008.

1. P1RealFresh

P1RealFresh Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know about the laws for getting lobster down in Mexico? Going down to a camp with 7 miles of private beach. I've fished a jetty there and done well but something tells me there are bugs swarmin' the area.

2. Mike

Mike Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently, it is prohibited... however, I'm not sure how credible that website is. :blink:

3. P1RealFresh

Ratings:
    +0
    Holy smokes! I'm glad I asked.

4. Be Kay

Be Kay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Definitely illegal! Good thing you checked first!

Anybody know if you get fined in Mex for breakin fishing laws or do they send you straight to the slammer? Heard second hand stories of them taking boats away for infractions...but they were exactly that.

5. homebrew

homebrew Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With all the robbing and killing in TJ and Rosarito lately...I wouldn't even take the chance. Scary stuff going on South of the border right now. You could lose more than your boat and/or gear.

I'm bummed cuz we like to go down there a few times a year for surfing and R-n-R.

Best off keeping a low profile if you do go down. I'd stick with fin fish for now.

Be safe,
    HB

6. jigstick

jigstick Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful diving in Mexico. Personally I wouldn`t do it, & I love Lobster. I have heard from advanced Divers that Mexican authorities & even locals are paranoid of Divers, specially NON-natives. Don`t agree??? try getting caught & see what happens. This is first hand info, from various Divers. I`ve heard specifically that if they see a "diver flag" sticker, on your vehicle, you WILL BE SEARCHED. Cal. Divers used to frequent Mexico, Northern Baja etc. & don`t do it too often anymore. Not trying to be negative, just what i`ve heard.
    Sean

7. P1RealFresh

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I was just going to throw some traps off the jetty there but now I think I will just stick to the fish!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    even if you snag a bug in mexico, DONT PULL IT OUT OF THE WATER. CUT YOUR LINE AND RETIE.
    If you do take lobsters in MEXICO and the trap fishermen or any panga guys see you take bugs, you will be beaten like in the movie fight club, and everything you have with you will be gone.

If you going to be fishing, its best to take dinner and photos only. PERIOD!!!! DONT MESS AROUND....