Micro guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building & Repair' started by Savage, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Savage

Savage Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Name:
    PJ Savage
    What's your thoughts on micro guides? What is the purpose? What are the pros and cons? Can you use braid to leader (FG knot)? - Thanks

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    Yes and yes. If you're talking strictly freshwater, anything from a ML to MH. Leader knots obviously will play a factor. 95% of my gear is either micro or slightly smaller than conventional guides. FG should be good. I used to be a double uni guy but now I use RP knot for any leader. 50-65lb braid to 15-10lb floro with an RP never have had casting issues. Yea, you'll 'hear' it go through the guides on a cast/retrieve, but in my experience it does not inhibit.

Micro guides have many positive attributes. Less likely to get stepped on is foremost for me. Micro guides make more sense in a baitcasting situation IMO. The more straight the line can come off to your target, the better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,905
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    using-micro-guides-custom-fishing-rods Here is a link to an article that may help . WR

4. Savage

Savage Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Name:
    PJ Savage
  5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,908
    They are tiny, a PITA to wrap, but when utilized correctly can provide favorable trade-offs for the user.

Lighter weight which aides in improved response/sensitivity. Tames the line down to a laser beam. When used in a spiral layout no worries of line scrub under load.

Pros mentioned above.

Cons, not as rugged and easier to damage. Some micro guide frames are stronger such as Fuji's KT and KB frames but also adds a gram or 2 per guide ( only bothersome if you're absolutely anal about total build weight ). In icy conditions they will freeze and close shut but were in Socal sooo... Also trying to run your line through the guides in windy or dark conditions may be a chore.

Maybe not with heavy line and size 3's. May have to go size 4's or 5's. Or use thinner line. I tie short leaders and the connection knot stays outside my tip top.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List