Mike Long admits deceit behind Poway lake record

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, May 14, 2014.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,955
    First and foremost, I've recently been accused by one angler as having a personal agenda against Mike Long. I'm sure he has said that, as a means to explain why I made the difficult decisions to not acknowledge his claimed lake records here on sdfish.com.

I do not have an agenda against him, I have better things to do than worry about him. He used to be a friend of mine, someone I defended, looked up to, and strived to beat on tournament day. As many of you know, he even used to have his own question and answer forum on sdfish, and I once gave away an autographed Mike Long swimbait as a prize for a treasure hunt here on sdfish. I have no reason to wish ill will against him, I simply do not believe in him any longer.

That said, the reason I do not acknowledge his "lake records" is that there is insufficient evidence that they're real. There is an unusual lack of supporting evidence that you typically find with lake record submissions.

Unlike every other lake record that I can recall in San Diego, his lake records are essentially just "phoned in." And the ones that were not phoned in, in which actual fish were presented, i.e. Diamond Valley and Sutherland were under IMMEDIATE and ADAMANT scrutiny from reliable and relevant sources.

The Sutherland staff immediately said this fish didn't come from their lake. Do you recall any other lake records from other anglers being similarly contested? Me neither.

Since 2002, Long has claimed he holds an 18 pound lake record at Lake Poway. To my knowledge there are no witnesses to this catch, and it was not officially weighed or documented by lake staff. He submitted a photo of a large bass to substantiate the catch. Poway has a board at the lake where anglers could post photos of large fish, Long's photo of a large bass was posted on the lake's board with a caption of the claimed weight of over 18 pounds.

In recent years it was brought to public attention that the photo he claimed was the lake record was not only not an 18 pounder, but it wasn't even caught by Long.

He denied that up until a few days ago when he posted on Facebook admitting that the fish was not caught by him. Over 12 years later.

He does still claim that he caught an 18 pounder at Poway, but that his camera's film didn't come out.

For me, this doesn't change anything. Other than that for 12 years he has been lying about it. But most of us already knew that. But still, there was never proof of that catch, or his other lake records either.

Here is the photo that he claimed for 12 years was an 18 pounder he caught at Lake Poway in 2002, used to prove a lake record

ne6avm.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +89
    Wow...just wow

Can you repost what he said? I'm not seeing anything

3. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +89
    Never mind I found it

4. InRodWeTrust

InRodWeTrust Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +88
    BFD...

Mike Long may or may not be an a-hole or deserve any criticism that comes his way. I've never met the guy. But I don't see what's so terrible about this photo business. Maybe I'm missing something. I think we should all be too busy to care about how accurate some picture of a fish is. By definition, we're fisherman/anglers, and should not be trusted anyways. :)

5. MASTERCASTER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44
    So what records at which lakes are for real ? Mike has most the local records and if he doesn't have them who does ?

6. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,375
    I read this book called "Sowbelly" that talks about the craziness and obsession people go thru to catch a world record bass. There are some real characters and some were involved w/ our local lakes. It was interesting to read about Mike Long in it and his competition w/ the Escondido boys at Lake Dixon. I think his reputation might have helped him kind of "bend the rules" on getting these lake records but only the man himself knows the truth. Personally I would feel weird lying about catching a fish that wasn't mine but to each their own. His blog has provided me w/ helpful info but whatever happened before between him and other folks here is none of my business. Luckily I've had only positive experiences and responses from members here.

7. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +89
    like the time your buddy took a pic with that yellow you caught? or when mark claimed that spottie i caught? haha

8. InRodWeTrust

Ratings:
    +88
    Ha! My point exactly. "Angler" is Latin for liar.

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,955
    We're not just talking fish stories here, these are lake record claims. These have some significance historically.

You should have to do more than just pin up a photo on a board, or call the lake staff and tell them you caught a 20 pounder to get a lake record.

10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,955
    Of the 6 lake records for largemouth bass that he claims to hold, I believe only the Sutherland and Diamond Valley fish were submitted to lake staff and documented the way you would presume a normal person would.

Of course the controversy around each of those fish is well documented, and was beaten to death back at the time each was caught.

11. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +834
    I guess his conscience finally caught up to him after all these years. Aside from phony lake records I still think he's one hell of a stick....that's if he really did catch all those BIG FISH he's claimed to have caught. :x :x :x

I was about to pick up a few of his new glide baits too, but then I saw this thread and had to empty the basket. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Kellen, thanks fro bringing this into light. It really clears up the question to why he has so many haters.

12. InRodWeTrust

Ratings:
    +88
    I agree 100%

13. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    I knew that guy was a phony bologna. I ran into some Ramona locals fishing Dos Picos once and they said his claim is that he holds that lake record too! Who gives a... if you have Dos Picos' lake record? Its a mud hole! Additionally, the guy said he saw him (Mike) throwing blue gill the very next day.

This is all hear say BS, but this dude was like 70 years old, the real 'salt of the Earth' type. I dont think he had any personal vendettas against ML. I thought he was telling the truth. But what do I know?

14. DonSeedless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59

:mrgreen:x3 I,d hope soooo!!! :mrgreen:

Man im glad we got this cleared up.....Now i know that i have to catch a monster bass instead of a really really :? big monster bass for a new lake record!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Kellen lets hear it???????I know you want to say it????????starts with an ...I...an ends with a ...so itoldyaso!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

15. Big_Iner

Big_Iner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I heard a rumor he caught the dvl record off of live crawdads and took a swim bait photo-op who knows.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

16. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,701
    The 'use a friends 18lb bass photo' to represent the one for a newspaper your camera messed up on sounds reasonable enough to me. And if he caught the record at DVL on something other than what he claimed let's see someone step up and make the accusation. Heck, look at the dozens of teen bass he's figured out how to catch he's got photos of, anyone really doubt his prowess? Certainly not me.

17. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,701
    Me too.

18. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +152
    The Sutherland accusation is weird. Either he's growing bass or he caught one helluva bass somewhere else and wanted a record at a different lake.

19. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +89
    how did they know the bass wasn't from their lake?

20. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +834
    Something about the water being muddy at the time and the fish he pulled out of the live well was "too green" to be from Sutherland for it's current water conditions.

But like OtayMiachael and I said before, regardless of the phony records and whether or not he caught those big fish on something else other than what he claimed... I still think he's a stud when it comes to catching trophy bass. :) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List