Minimum sizes and max bag limits. Am I reading this right?...

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by JFF, Nov 8, 2018.

1. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +198
    I've been fishing since I could remember. At the ripe age of 39, sad to say, I did not know the local laws for legal sizes and limits. (With the exception of halibut) In my defense, I do not keep anything I catch. Well with the exception of stocked trout which I really don't have a choice. I truly don't care for eating fish or seafood in general. But I digress...

Generally I knew that bass had to be a minimum of 12" with a max bag limit of 5. As I was browsing the freshwater "black bass" portion I noticed that there are "no size limit" for bass at Cuyamaca. Also, at the bottom of the page, section 5.00.a.2 says that rivers, steams, canals, etc. do not have a size limit as well. Does that mean you can keep any bass out of the San Diego River? Or out of the canals out east? Is this right? Am I reading it right?

Link below:
    Black Bass | eRegulations

2. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,909
    The only thing I know of for sure about your post is any fish from the SDR tastes like mud. Yuck. Grew up in Santee.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,796
    Yes, you are reading it right. It's a pretty good idea.
    LMB are the piscean equivalent of cockroaches, they breed like crazy, and there are far too many of them in our local creeks and in some reservoirs, they're overrunning the available food. As a result, they just don't get very big.
    I've eaten a couple of bass out of the San Diego river. A couple of the bigger ones tasted muddy. A couple were fine...if you like the taste of largemouth bass. Nothing special.
    And no, I still C&R 99.99999999% of the bass I catch because I ain't gonna lug a cooler along on a hike. And if you don't take care of the meat, you're wasting it anyway.
    Wow. Three sermons today. Pompous much?

p.s. The "canals out east" are probably Imp. Co. Some regs differ by county, rather than DFW region.

#3 carpkiller, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,077
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    Locally in San Diego the bass limits vary from lake to lake. For example, Dixon lake just changed the bass limit to 2 per day minimum length 12" so, if you're fishing a new body of water you'll wanna check the listing for limits and size restrictions.

5. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +198
    Thanks for the confirmation. I don't plan on keeping any fish but was just curious of the interpretation of the regulations and how they differ from body of water locally.

6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,796
    Sermon #4.
    So.
    If you have some kids who really, really want to try eating what they catch, and want to learn how to clean and cook them... and you don't want to pretend to like the taste of mackerel from Shelter Island...
    Perhaps hit up a local fish-infested creek with some nightcrawlers and bring home a handful of bluegill and 10-12 inch LMB. The ones I've sampled in that size range tasted 'cleaner' that bigger fish.

7. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,738
    Do we have creeks?

8. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,067
    I was just about to ask this. General direction of these local creeks would be nice. Only know of some pounds near me in Bonita . Two of which are on a golf course.

9. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,738
    If it wasn't for reservoirs I think we would be sorely lacking in any fresh water here besides a little spring or two. It's a lovely desert.

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,620
    Yummm
    Blue Gill...

11. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,796
    We have more creeks than lakes. (Counting the San Diego River as a creek.) I only have caught fish out of a half dozen creeks in our county. If you drive past or over a marshy looking place that seems to be wet year 'round it might be worth checking out. If you can't take the time to do it...let me know and maybe I'll check it out. And if I catch a bass outta your creek I might even tell you about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,738
    So sweet of you! These creeks must be mostly in north county. Out here in the east I could point you to many sand/dirt filled areas that show they may have once held water.