Minnie stick designs will catch just about anything

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by spoonminnow, Jun 23, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    EgVNrnh.jpg 1RzUIGR.jpg

You can imagine the tip quiver and body flex with this design. I'll stick the jig hook dead center, cast it out and let it drop like you would a Senko or twitch it mid-depth.

This was the first one tested last week:
    TSMzRLj.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,164
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice

3. fishanddestroy

fishanddestroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    What kind of baits are those ?

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,164
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    This guy hand makes em, it's really interesting stuff. Wish he had a YouTube showing him candling plastics up and then smoking the panfish on what he made. I would watch that shi all day...

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Most of the parts of the mini-sticks are produced from molds I own. Some are made from the parts of small grubs and thin plastic worms. In both cases I cut the parts with a box cutter blade, light a candle, hold the ends over it for a few seconds, line up the lures and hold the ends together until cool (4 seconds).
    8RdcM1z.jpg

I discovered the lure design's action in spring watching the stick fall using a ball head jig hooked in the center. The action was again no different than that of a Senko and immediately caught fish on the first outing.

If you have small curl tail grubs, cut of the tails and join the bodies. Works just as well. Color not important or in my case, even clear plastic works.
    Xk70mBu.jpg I985lsG.jpg
    EGKFKt3.jpg nm8DlTq.jpg
    opCTqYI.jpg B03dQM5.jpg
    The middle segment was take from a plastic worm.

The lure can also be rigged the usual way from either end as seen in the photo on the right.
    jrNuVcD.jpg bc47gBY.jpg

TKVaq9Z.gif

Example of grub body used:
    QVJZhAY.jpg
    PIq22Cv.jpg
    TyRxhPw.jpg 49mhl3e.jpg dNJkXxA.jpg
    Note the parts from different colored worms.

Jig head weights used are 1/32, 1/24 or 1/16 oz. with a #4 hook depending on rate of drop.

Frank

yWqWQog.jpg

yWqWQog.jpg

#5 spoonminnow, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. fishanddestroy

fishanddestroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Hand down this has to be one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen !!!!!

7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    The design kind of destroys the dependence on traditional tail designs (curly, s.shad).

note: wacky rigged or regular, the straight, blunt-tail catches as many fish if not more considering the action that still occurs when the lure is paused. Less active fish are more prone to staying interested the longer a lure is in its zone of provocation. Regardless of why the zone exist (hunger, increased activity), anglers need to find out the presentation speed of lures that fit the moment. Could be a crankbait or spinnerbait burned past a weedline or a dropshot rig barely moving along.

Light jig/ mini-stick designs are versatile when it comes to presentation considering the body flex and total action profile that does well whether on the drop, bounced off bottom or twitched on a horizontal retrieve. Thicker sticks like the Senko have their successes, but aren't lures all species strike as indicated above by the variety in species and size. Color isn't really important as many have maintained when using other lures - lure action says it all. Lure size range is also greater - from 1 1/4" - 2 3/4".

If you want a child to be able catch fish easily, rig a mini stick on a light ball head jig. (Same goes for some adults who can't even catch fish on live bait.)

8. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,022
    Little sticks are fun to use. Bass Pro Shops used to offer a 2 inch Sticko in their lineup, but I guess it wasn't popular enough because they discontinued it.:emoji_worried:
    10407994_700404889996106_4129256038181468080_n.jpg

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,369
    The lures are cool and all, but how did you upload a “video”..that’s what I wanna know..

10. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Post pictures and videos on IMGUR.com
    After opening the picture or video, copy/paste the BBCode in your post
    Preview to make sure it shows and it's proper position in the post.
    The site allows editing of size, so you'll want to preview just in case the photo or video is too large.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List