Miramar 7/12 first dropshot bass!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by greg614, Jul 12, 2018.

1. greg614

greg614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    34B26D51-50A5-4CCA-AEBA-E861F4634F62.jpeg I fished Miramar this morning for the first time. I fished from the shore and their fishing docks. Nice lake. Tons of people walking, jogging biking around the almost 5 mile paved loop. Saw plenty of small and medium sized bass but they weren’t interested in my spinner or crank baits. I’ve hadn’t ever caught a bass on a drop shot. I was committed. Tied on a watermelon senko and tried to remember what I saw on YouTube about how to do it. Brand new style for me. After a couple hours I was already writing the sob story in my head about what a hack I am and how dumb a method of fishing this is. Then I got one! I’ve never been so surprised. I am fairly certain this bass saw the dejected look on my face and took one for the team. I’m glad he did!

Got my second one a couple hours later. Actually felt like I had some part in catching this one. Pic attached.

I’ve caught a lot of fish, but this first dropshot senko bass is new and exciting.

On both I tied the hook and sinker straight to my braid. Do you all recommend a fluoro leader?

I’m always interested in when fish are caught. Got first one at 9:45. Second at noon.

2. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Boat:
    I wish
    Congrats on your first drop shot bass. I would highly recommend a fluoro leader when fishing clear n pressured waters, which is pretty much all of Cali, hehe.

I usually run 15lb braid to 8lb fluoro leader.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,257
    Nice one! Congrats!

I wouldn't call Miramar "pressured", but you're better off with a fluoro leader for sure. If you want numbers; dropshot a 4" Roboworms in the Margarita Mutilator color (purple/brown). My personal favorite is 10lb braid with a 6lb leader(Seaguar). I've had numerous 10+ fish days there, definitely my favorite lake.

If you ever see a couple of googans on a floating platform. That's us, holla!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,819
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    With a leader and a much smaller hook, you would have caught more. Glad you got the ball rolling!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. rookieyaker

rookieyaker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Congrats! I love the drop shot! It’s my go to when fishing gets tough.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,121
    Name:
    Ray
    The water at Miramar is very clear and the fish spooky. Like Snag above stated, light braid to a 6lb flouro leader and #1 drop shot hook. I also use the Roboworm Rebarb #2 light wire hook for my drop shot rig.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    No more than 8 pound flouro for the ds...Miramar is one of our clearer lakes usually...I find the fish a lot deeper than I’m normally comfortable fishing..the robo worm is my go to at that lake...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,245
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    If you landed fish without a leader...... think about that. You did something many have not. You went fishing without a preconsived notion of what they should be doing. Super clear water and straight braid.

Keep it up. Thin braid in a grass filled lake is not an issue. In crazy sharp rocks... yeah add a leader. Dirty water, never.

Keep doing what you are doing. Fish wihout thinking about it too much! :):)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. greg614

greg614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks for all the great feedback. It is really appreciated.

A few quick questions:
    I’ll look up the how-to, but what’s your favorite knot to join say 15# braid to 8# fluoro?

I used a 1/0 hook today. Your favorite size for drop shot?

Went to Amazon to buy roboworms and got overwhelmed...they offer straight, fat and curly. 4.5, 6 and 7 inch. And a zillion colors. From the replies, I think 4.5” straight margarita mutilator is my first choice. Size, style, color recommendations?

Are senkos out of style? Got almost all roboworm votes from you all today.

Thanks

11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Senkos are not typically fished on a drop shot with light line...but as linebig said it still worked out for you...the dropshot is typically a finesse application...so lighter line..smaller baits..etc...I usually fish the oxblood at Miramar...my buddy kills it though on the motor oil curly tail worms from strike king...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Boat:
    I wish
    I learned to tie the FG Knot. It's quite annoying but the strongest as it spreads the load across the entire knot. An easier knot but also works well is the RP Knot. The RP Knot has a slightly bigger profile than the FG but works well too. I can tie the RP Knot much faster and I do so sometimes if I feel rushed.

Hooks wise, there are diff hooks for diff things.

If I'm nose hooking the bait, I use a small drop shot hook size 1

rs.php?path=GFWGH-1.jpg
    Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap Hooks

If I decide to wacky rig a senko on a drop shot setup, I go 1/0. I caught my first initial PB of 5.97lbs by wacky rigging a senko on a drop shot. Works well too and gives a diff presentation.

If I'm getting hung up in too much weeds while fishing drop shot 4.5" roboworm, I'll switch to a rebarb hook, light wire size 1/0

rs.php?path=RWRBH-1.jpg
    Roboworm Rebarb Hooks

If I want to fish a 5" senko texas rig on a drop shot, I'll go a size 3/0 gammy offset ewg hook.

rs.php?path=GOSWG-1.jpg
    Gamakatsu Offset EWG Worm Hooks Black

Amazon,com will overcharge you on stuff so be careful.

I like to buy from Tacklewarehouse.com but they do charge sales tax. I also purchase tackle from thehookuptackle.com cuz they're in Arizona, ship fast and don't charge sales tax. They have less choices but still are a good place to shop. I also suggest Landbigfish.com, better selection than TheHookupTackle and since they're based in the east coast, no sales tax. Tacklesupplydept.com is also another good online tackle shop I frequent and since they're in the east coast, they don't charge sales tax.

As far as sizes and colors, Roboworms have been my fav finesse/drop shot worm since I was a kid. They're very popular and work well. I have 2 main colors I like:

Aaron's Magic
    rs.php?path=RFST-AM-1.jpg

Margarita Mutilator
    rs.php?path=RFST-MM-1.jpg

Other colors to think about are Morning Dawn, MM3, and Oxblood Red Flake.

I mainly have the original Straight Tail Worm, not the fat ones as they have 3 diff sizes for the straight tails.

I have all 3 sizes but mostly use the 4.5". I have caught bass off the 7" when I was just messing around to see if they would even bite it. I suggest, just getting some 4.5" straight tails in MM and Aaron's Magic to start.

As as far as drop shotting goes, you can drop shot small 2.8" keitech fat swing impacts, flukes, fluke jrs etc. It's almost endless but Roboworms and Senkos are the main things I drop shot these days.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  13. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,257
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Matt A

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +486
    Awesome catch! My absolutely most favorite thing to do when bass fishing is...

1. Catch a 3+ fish
    2. Catch fish on a new body of water
    3. Catch a fish on a new technique
    4. Catch a top water fish

I can hear the excitement in your post about getting a new technique to work. I remember my first drop shot fish... I took out a guy from the old ARF board Jim Wolf, I believe was his name, to San-V. He showed me how to fish deep water with a dropshot and it totally changed the way I fished. Opened up so much water! Keep at it as you will quickly learn how to load the boat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,465
    Boat:
    Yes
    Congrats on your 1st Drop Shot bass greg614 . I have tried the drop shot technique only 3 times, without much success. I did catch my 1st drop shot bass about a month ago. Thanks to the guys on the drop shot information TheBassinPanda , Snag , mikecheck1212 , Linebig

16. greg614

greg614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    So I actually had a dream about drop shot fishing last night. Maybe too much time on this site?

Does anyone tie on 2 hooks and 2 worms say 18” apart? Double your presentation right? Is that stupid, illegal or am I on to something as a naive beginner?

A fat double hookup would be something to see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Never done that but have heard of people putting a jig on the bottom instead of dropshot weight..

18. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,257
    I remember seeing that at the Fred Hall Show - Don Lovino was doing a demo, drop shot with a finesse jig. So you know I had to get some of his jigs. 3 years later I still haven't used them...:emoji_joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,257
    I was at Miramar on Saturday and me and my buddy pulled in well over 20 fish. Drop shot, Carolina rig and senkos. 2 to 3lb fish. Good day!

20. greg614

greg614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Try the double drop shot and let us know if it works!