Miramar Recycling Center SUCKS BUTT!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fomen, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I will personally never go there again. Today I brought them 130 pounds of clean aluminum extrusions. I had aluminum deck plating, and aluminum rungs from ladders at my work that I was told to dispose of. I also included some aluminum castings from some metal forging projects I did at home. I saw 2 or 3 of the guys at the recycling center mulling over what to "label" the aluminum as. They collectively decided to label it as "painted" aluminum and offer me $.18 per pound. There wasn't a drop of paint on it- and by definition clean aluminum is aluminum castings or extrusions free from foreign (magnetic) metals or paint. I should have gotten $.55-$.75 per pound for it.

When I questioned them, they just looked at me like, "Take it and get lost!".

So the recycling centers sell the aluminum back to manufacturers who melt it back down for extrusions, castings, or cans. The recycling center has a scale and grade for aluminum as well. They get more for clean aluminum than they do for painted aluminum. So when they buy the scrap from me at $.18 per pound, and label it "painted aluminum", and they turn around and sell it to the manufacturers and the foundries for $.75 per pound and they label it "clean aluminum", they just made a crap load of money at my expense.

The people who work at these places have been given way too much power to discern scrap according to their definition. I rarely go to the recycling centers, so this came as a shock to me. But sellers beware. If you go to Miramar Recycling Center, you're going to get scammed. Even the aluminum cans have a better pay off than the clean aluminum I turned in.

So then I went to the BBB website. I wanted to file a complaint. It's not about the money, but more about the principle. If they're doing it to me, then they're doing it to everybody else as well. Unfortunately the Miramar Recycling Center is affiliated with the governing body of the City of San Diego, and the BBB website clearly states you cannot file complaints against government agencies. What can you do except go somewhere else? But even then should you be leery? Are they going to do the same thing? Why can't people just be honest? ARGH!!!!!!!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I wish I would have gone there instead.

3. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    I once took a sheet 4x8 if I remember correctly. Brand new, never used, and they gave me a couple dollars for it. I am speaking of the one in Lakeside. My boyfriend FLIPPED. I think they all do it. I should have been better educated on the subject. I should never assume a business is going to be reputable. Those days are long gone.

4. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,054
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Too bad about them working the system and hurting you. That sucks. I went there once to get rid of junk. To be truthful I was taking it to the dump and they told me I should go to the recycle area instead. I did not want money, just wanted to get rid of it. No one there? Not a sole around? So I backed my truck up by a container and dumped it all and drove away. That was a strange experience. At least I dont have it in my side yard any longer...