Mission Bay Bait Barge bait quality?

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by toolbox, Jul 13, 2018.

1. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    Anyone get bait from Mission Bay Bait Barge today? Is it still poor quality?

2. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,398
    Name:
    Mike
    Haven't been to the bait barge but live in MB and can tell you Everingham Bros have been working right out in front of Mission Beach every day for the past week and that's usually not too good of a sign. It means they can't get the bait they need at their normal spots so they are having to work out front here. Warm waters can push the bait(especially chove) out of the normal spots. In years past when they had to fish out front you'd go to the barge for bait and get a couple passes of brown bait, a mix of queenfish,small white croaker, and a few dines. Ok if your anchoring at the kelp and fishing the bass but not very good stuff to take offshore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    That's the way it's been lately. Sucks cause we have to go to the other one. Of well.. could be working. Thanks for the intel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. John S.

John S. Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Whenever we get water temps as high as they are now, the saradines have a tough time. There are also a lot of guys fishing even during the week so the bait is not really getting the chance to cure at any significant level. The location of the baitbarge in MB is also not helpful since it does not get the same level of tidal flow and current that they do in SD Bay. If you can find a way to keep your water in your baitwell cooler then that could help. But, putting in ice could cause problems in beating up your bait. The only thing you can do is take on less bait to give them more room and make your own bait. If your fishing calicos, you don’t need bait.

John

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,532
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Friends were saying their entire tank rolled about a mile out from MB this AM. The barge in SD Bay has some decent smaller sardines. I suppose they’re good for those pickier bites since everything is keyed in on pinhead chovies still.

6. John S.

John S. Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I don’t plan on buying bait unless the fish start hitting the dines. I will make mini macs and go from there. Those work well on the slow troll and the paddy fish may take them. There is just so much bait out there right now to compete with. Once the pelagics munch through it then live bait will really matter. My boat is in the shop. So, I will not get back out for at least another week. Hope you guys get into them.

John

7. DogDudeDrone

DogDudeDrone Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
    Go get your own? Is it usually hard to get a lot of your own? When I went out to the 9 we saw a billion bait fish. I guess its too far just for bait fish?

8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,525
    Yesterday (7/13), we got a 1/2 scoop of mixed Anchovy, Sardines and Mackerel from the MB Bait Barge.

ALL the chovies ROLLED by our first stop. Dimes and Macks did well all day....

Water Temp was 71-73 throughout day. We put 1/2 Scoop in a 2 Scoop Bait Tsnk.

9. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,841
    Anyone try putting some Blue Ice in the bait tank to keep the water cooler without beating up the bait, you could even keep some extra blue ice in your cooler to replace after they warm up as a backup

10. gleaves

gleaves Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Went out on a club twilight out of Mission Bay on the New Seaforth. They had no anchovies on the sportboat so probably means none for private boats. For the deans they had, it was a mix of 4 inch deans and then bigger 8 inches or so. About half the baits did not look that good but I am pickier on baits. Bit of talk was that the boat is putting on the bait the night before and then letting their water pumps push more water through the tanks to get more oxygen to the bait than is possible for the bait just sitting in the receiver.

Wonder if SD bay is better.

We fished calicos till dark on the north end of La Jolla outside of the kelp a bit. Majority fishing plastics (Hook up Baits were the majority plastics) and did well I used the 4 inch small sardines with 3/8 sliders to be different from the plastic and got many. Most smaller release models for me but trip was mainly for kids & there were a some bigger version caught. Fish were a little deeper as not much chumming to bring them up( one big dean = 8 small chovie chum) due to no chovies.

11. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Name:
    Kyle
    When I went out last week, there were plenty of little anchovies. Things may have changed though...

Just saying when I fished IN Florida with a guide, he made bait early in the morning, we are pretty lucky to have this as a resource..

12. skrilla

skrilla Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Saturday we got 5-7 inch deans from MB. A couple died by noon. No other die offs until we gunned it for home. The ones I pinned on swam off like a freight train.