Mission Bay Jetty Fishing

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Sam Sphire, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Sam Sphire

Sam Sphire Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I want to do some fishing in the mission bay entrance channel. What kind of tackle, bait, lures should I use? How should I rig the rod?

What about in the bay itself?

2. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    For the south side use an iron, slow and low been working for me.

3. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    I do good with krocodiles on the channel side.. I get a lot of really huge rays on the beach side...I use a 10 ft ugly stick with 24 lb line on a shimano 6500 baitrunner reel and 3 ounce surf sinkers so they don't roll,,,if you fish close in on the beach side you are liable to hook anything so depends on what you are trying to catch..i don't really fish for the perch and small stuff but they are there...for that I use a 7 ft rod with light line and jigs or a Carolina rig...for the most part...when the mackerel and bonito are around the end of the jetty can be awesome,,i have had some incredible days out there...I slipped on the rocks last time out and broke 2 ribs so be carefull....

#3 stoned-trout, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. Sam Sphire

Sam Sphire Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice and warning about the ribs. Hope those heal up soon

5. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    If you see wet rocks DON'T walk on them. The river side has plenty of halibut.

6. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,197
    Yeah those rocks are crazy slippery. I went out there once, stepped on what I thought was a dry rock and bam, down I went. No broken ribs but torn pants and bloody leg to make the walk of shame with back to the car

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Sam Sphire

Sam Sphire Member

Ratings:
    +2
    By river side do you mean south of the bay entrance channel by dog beach in the actual river or in the entrance channel to the bay?

8. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Dog beach, the actual river

9. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Do you guys fish the riverside during low or high tide? I assume the hali's get trapped in there during low tied but not positive...

10. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    For me low tide, if it's low tide when it's getting dark you'll see halis jumping out the water and boiling.

11. stoned-trout

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    good place for ghost shrimp too...never caught a legal halibut there tho..lots of bass and short halis in the river by dog beach...I need a new pair of wading shoes with felt on the bottom ..they work awesome ...I was wearing boots when I slipped and broke my ribs...not advised

#11 stoned-trout, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  12. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,278
    All shorts, always an inch shy of legal. Have heard people saying they caught 30+inchers. I always have a hand ready to catch myself, incase I do slip.

13. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,535
    I fish it during a slack tide. You will know cuz the water glosses over like a mirror. This happens a little time away from the actual slack tide for oclean beach, since the current of the river running out has to match the current of the waves pushing in.

Even during low tide the halibut don't get trapped in. There are alot of troughs for the halibut to rest in away from the beach current and river current along with the plentiful amount of prey available, which makes any rivermouth,estuary, bay a good place for predators.

Rumr has it that the halis eat the dog sheet and get big:wacky:

I've seen many families baiting with squid/anchovies and taking home 10 inch halibut. Told many people off about keeping sublegals. I have called dfw most times that I have seen sublegals/unmeasured fish on stringers, so don't be that guy. Dfw frequents the rivermouth more than other places around the bay. Don't keep sublegals.

Last tip, most bites are right by either bank away from the current.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,478
    Great tips, I was thinking of trying that area would you fish the north side of the river or go in from the south ( dog beach ) side, and do you have better luck fishing the opposite side tight to the bank or up tight from the same side your standing on?
    Thanks for the great tips

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. stoned-trout

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    was out past there in the yak today...some big waves..got a nice bass and a bonito....also got wet ...next time I am wearing my spray skirt...mostly was wave surfing but also trolling a Berkley swimbait...when I fish that area on foot I like the dog beach side for walking but parking on the other side makes access easier and then you can fish the channel and the river easily...

16. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,197
    Nice! When did the bone show up in the bay channel? Or was it outside?

17. stoned-trout

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    outside a bit past where all the lobster traps seem to be...was some serious wave action going on..

18. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,535
    I would go from the dog beach side. They finally locked the fence off onto the jetty for good and check it pretty frequently. It's good to check out the jetty side to see the structure and where the weeds are, since you will need to throw right on top of hte weeds and get into the strike zone into the sand right in front of the weeds for the fish to bite.

19. dahoang55

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +211
    I went on Thursday. They have patched up the hole in the fence but the whole fence is falling over. You can squeeze through the locked fence during higher tides or simply walk on top of it if you're determined enough. Low tides you can just walk around it from the rocks. Saw at least 5 others fishing there. Used to be my go to spot but there's so many people fishing it nowadays. The north side of the jetty used to have thick kelp loaded with Cali's, sandies and sculpin.

20. stoned-trout

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    its a longer walk on the dog beach side to get to water..i can pick locks if I didn't want to get fined...lol..fishing the other side you can park right necxt to water and fish the channel and river easily..but ya you cant go to the end anymore...