mission bay vs san diego bay (strictly spotties)

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by tsilmaro, Sep 27, 2011.

1. tsilmaro

tsilmaro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    right now for me, SD Bay is my personal choice for spotties over mission bay. which is it for you? tell us your story of personal best spottie and which bay it was caught in.

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,862
    Quantity = SD Bay

Quality = Mission Bay

All of my big spotties came from MB, largest one being 18.5" and pushing 4lbs. All of my 25+ spotty sessions came from SD Bay, but none were bigger than 14". I only have a few 25+ spotty sessions from MB.

Every January I find both quality and quantity in MB in a couple areas I wont mention, this year it lasted for 2 weeks, last year only one week. Smallest fish during that time was 14" and around 2lbs. I am hoping next year it will last a while ;)

The biggest spotties I have found in SD Bay are under the docks at Harbor Island. 17" has been my best one there. But I have about 4 dozen 17"+ in MB.

3. BIGG RYNO

BIGG RYNO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I have to say i think Thrillz is right, even though he never post pics of any fish he catches.lol jk I strictley fish sd bay four days a week at least. I catch spotties every trip on plastics from the shore and structure. I get high numbers and is one of my favorite types of fishing from shore. Now my personal best has come from mission bay behind seaworl and was a 4 lber. I stay away from mission just because of the grass. I know you can drop shot if you want and weedless. I just stay away. I might go try soon. I just go with what i know and sd bay produces every trip for me...

imagejpeg_2_7.jpg

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,862
    All of my posts were made on another forum. I havent had many sessions since February this year because I have been busy, and when I do get out I am hunting for corvina. But I can dig up some photos if you like ;)

5. Ongbak14

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44
    Totally agree with dj, I

6. BIGG RYNO

BIGG RYNO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    @ thrillz.. no wories i believe you. I also hunt every other fish as well. You will see tons of pics on these formus of the diffrent species. I just see you have great knowledge of the bays as well as i do, just givin you a hard time. Now stop working and go FISH....ha ha :p

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,862
    I know ;) And I would love to fish the way I used to. Everyday 2-3 times per day.... Someday...

I am looking forward to other peoples thoughts on this thread, sort of surprised that there arent more people chiming in with all of the spotty hunters on here.

8. tsilmaro

tsilmaro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i agree with ryno for now regarding fishing mission bay. i mean i only started fishing the bays a few months ago and i just dont deal with the grass. i've made it a point to myself though to starting looking for some heavier spotties in mission bay. now if i could get onto some docks, that would be a different story.

IMG_20110912_182349.jpg

9. halihunter

halihunter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sd bay for me at least is were all of me bigger spotties have came from all i ever get is dinks and quantity never any pigs like iv goten in sd bay but i have only fished MB a handfull of times since sdbay is only jus down the street from me. Im gona start tubeing MB soon so hopefully i can find some bigger ones in mb.

10. sumpin_fishy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +155
    Mission has always produced bigger spotties for me. Mission can get really tough for me as well. Sometimes I just need the 50 fish day so I head to the big bay spots.