Mission Belle 10/12/19

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Gabemorales, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    Finally got the opportunity to go offshore for some tuna and put my gear to use!

long story short, great trip with a great group of guys, landed my 1st tuna (yellowfin), though a shorty, and just overall experienced a great time.

Mine was a little football around 12-15#s, step dad had the winner at around <30, and my brother had his at around 15-20ish.
    Found out last minute it was a tuna trip and was a little worried my Lexa400 and Californian would be overpowered but they held up extremely well. Casted irons a mile, no backlashes, did well with live bait. No complaints at all.

A buddy’s dad, landed a decent sized schoolie on his 300hd on an M1 inshore and totally backed up my reasoning on why I need a 300 sized reel lol. Soooo I’ll be purchasing another lexa soon haha.

Plus, you can’t beat that sunset and moonlit sight of our city.

4629D11D-7B9A-4701-80D1-D38F8BF87D46.jpeg 54402634-7023-4D66-BE4F-C66FBF673406.jpeg 72F5FEAC-8841-46D4-84B4-BA1DDED12E17.jpeg 635DB74D-4B8D-4879-AB86-28EECC74765D.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Some nice fish for sure there

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,401
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Id advise changing that Lexa 300 out to a fathom 15 if you are going to be continuing to fish for tuna. I heard a lot of how that stop had issues getting their baits away from the boat (according to Phillip and Tony) and the free spool and open face style of the reel helps get a bait out further.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    There were a lot of people who hadn’t done much fishing in general, which played a big factor. The guys who were avid Tuna fisherman got it a good amount and did manage to land a decent amount.

I 100% agree, those fathoms are sexy as hell too. I do a lot of jetty fishing, so the lexa makes a lot more sense for me at this moment. Will definitely be looking into a conventional reel soon though when I’m able to afford to go out for tunes more often lol. Seems like they were line shy also, I caught mine on a 40# mono leader, but after that, one hit, then nothing else. Even considering the fact that we had a National Geographic feeding frenzy around us lol. The guys fishing lighter leaders were the ones getting bit.

I’ll definitely Be picking your brain soon about offshore fishing! I really appreciate the advice

5. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    If you are set on a lexa 300....and can wait...turners usually has them for like 100 bucks around the holidays.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,401
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    The starting size line for these fish should be 20lb with a size 2 hook. After working this weekend is was pretty much the standard starting line weight and hook. If the fish are more aggressive and are going hard the corner, try 3/0 and a 1/0 or a size 1 in light wire. After that... send out your 40lb and 2/0. If they are still chewing damn hard, 40lb and a bigger hook or break out some buttoned down 50lb. Then all you should use are 4/0 live liners and just go to town.

7. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    They’re on sale right now, but $100?! I can totally wait lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    If they are on sale right now, you might as well get one now if its a decent deal. When they were doing the 100 bucks thing it was i think when they were trying to get rid of the older grey models.

9. Tommy Chang

Tommy Chang sicka than your average.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    Boat:
    almost. back.
    nice fish! sounds like a good time!

Question tho? lol why does everybody swear on Lexa's while fishing tuna. yall gonna get wrecked for it one of these days. will fight a fish for 50 minutes then lose it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    I’m not sweating by it lol, it’s a great reel but I agree when on a bigger model, it’s gonna be a tougher fight. Everyone has their preference and some people fish certain gear better than others. A tranx500 or a conventional reel is much better suited for Tuna. Couldn’t agree with you more on that one. Pulled mine in fairly fast. 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops? Smaller guy, put up a hell of a fight though for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Yeah, I only fish mine when fishing plastics/lures for calicos or shallow water rockfishing.

Fish my conventionals for yellows/tuna.

The most confusing thing for me is when people say they can cast their baitcaster better than their conventional reels....its the same thing to me, you have to use your thumb with both? I never understood that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very common misconception, Easy619 .. the Tranx is just a beefy baitcaster, not a conventional equivalent. You can pull harder with a Penn 500 jigmaster than a Tranx. Don't let the numbers and hype fool you.. if you don't believe me, watch any of the Milliken fishing videos where he is in Costa and gets his azz handed to him by fish a jigmaster could handle blindfolded

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,409
    Name:
    Eric
    ...I have never fished or advocated for tranx

14. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    i am one of those people lol. Personally, It’s a little more difficult for me Since I don’t use conventional very much. But you’re right, in essence it is the same. Once I learned to use a baitcaster, casting a conventional did become slightly easier, but I’m not as confident as I am with a low profile haha

15. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe

16. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,401
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    You know me as mainly a bass guy right? I think of myself as bass fisherman and I fish a lot of bass reels. I’ve fished a lot of 300 and 400 size reels and “the 500 size” and used them in a ton of scenarios... including bigger bluefin. My opinion... they are not suitable for tuna fishing.

Let me first put this out in the open. Bass reels do have a place for fishing them as hard as they can... but that’s for bass. They are reels intended for the use of braid over a large amount of heavy mono (most of the time, not saying you can’t and they are not able to hold a decent amount, just not like a Fathom or Seagate can) in mind and fishing with the intention of giving a fish zero room to move. So when people are fishing a kelp cutting rig on plastics, you see 65lb braid and 60 and 80lb leaders. After all, it’s all about a reaction strike where the size of the line does not matter and you need the diameters of the line to be his suited for messing up kelp (80lb is far to thick). As bass don’t really go for 50 yard runs, although bigger bass can definitely move for sure, you don’t need a ton of torque of efficient drags, they just need to be able to stop fish. In my opinion, the best set of drags that could work as an offshore reel was the Black and Blue Revo Toro Beasts, it was maybe capable enough to function as a 25lb reel. I did fish it as a 40lb reel once on a 50lb bluefin and that was pushing it to the max. I did land a 80lb bluefin on a Lexa 400HD but I would never ever do that again. It just didn’t have the guts to do that on a wide open bite. It does not have the gear ratio to be efficient. It does not have the capacity to let your fish go a run if it needs too. It does not have the dogs or the frame to be repeatedly be fished on fish that go for longer runs.

Now let’s talk about conventional reels. For starters, the Tranx 500 is an equivalent to a Fathom 15. Keep that in mind. If I had to list 3 reels which I would bee-line for In any tuna bite, it would be any of the Fathom series (no level winds) Newells, and then a Senator (with the exception of the Baja Special 113HN... that’s the cake for anything 50lb or 40lb related and will be my first pick). My reason why? One, superior drags. Two, you fight a fish on a wider reel, you are using a larger vector to fish as line comes off the reel (it’s harder for the fish to pull back). The best set up for fishing the picky tuna this year in local waters was 20lb and size 2 hooks or light wire hooks. You didn’t need anything fancy... fight your fish with a bend in your rod for forgiveness. The ability to get your line put away from the boat... that is essential. When fish are this picky you need an outstanding freespool. You need to have a open faced reel. Everything that an open faced reel has in terms of its design, was essential in these conditions.

Line wise you didn’t anything aside from mono. Flouro did not make a difference. If you were looking for bluefin I would have changed that up to a flouro leader to maybe 100 yards of mono. If it was bigger fish braid backing would be useful. That what I saw worked best. When I fished, it’s what I used and I killed a lot of fish that way.I was out fishing this stuff maybe 2-3 times a week so I’d say I pretty in tuned what was going on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  17. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,401
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I see that you didn’t post here.. I was curious about that tag myself.

18. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    That’s pretty much what I heard from the older guys on the boat. 20# has been king. My buddy’s dad who landed a yft on the bass gear was using 15# fluro. Pretty much, he said the 20# was what everyone should stick with, the deckhands agreed. Though I know it’s frowned upon, I do give him props for landing that 20# on the 300, took maybe a half hour? Not too long, considering some of the inexperienced guys did take about the same time, if not longer, to get their fish in on proper gear.

19. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Name:
    Gabe
    In short, it was a good trip, everyone has their opinions on gear, Opinions on ways to fish, and I’m glad I was able to experience and learn what I did.

20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Ok, Gabemorales and Easy619 .. I wasn't talking about what you were advocating, either of you, only the common misconceptions.. the idea that a low profile baitcaster is equal to a similar conventional is a complete myth, as retrieve rates and the proportional torque are not relatable.. don't buy the numbers, folk..