Mission belle 10/18

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by JWBee, Oct 19, 2019.

1. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    After some encouraging words and advice from some you guys, I finally hopped on my first non half day boat! The boat was a full load with a couple extras(I think pinheads?). The boat was about half way filled when I signed up the day before but I guess a lot of people hopped on after the counts went out. We left around 6 and were the only one at the bait barge. Seas were kinda rough, didn’t check the report but I overheard someone say swells were at 5-6 ft at 9 sec with some heavy winds. I didn’t get sick but it took some work lol. A couple of folks were hurtin throughout the day although it calmed down later on. I chopped it up with one of the deckhands for a bit and he told me to stick with the size two hooks and 20 lb setup, also he said he’s only been nose hook’n em. So we headed south towards all the other boats, I think they were a few overnighters with a bunch of private boaters and at least one other full day boat. We hung around there for a bit searching but we quickly passed them up and went farther southeast. It was said by someone who talked to the captain that those boats weren’t really gettin into anything so that’s why we continued on and it wasn’t long before we weren’t in sight of anyone else. Our first stop was at 11 when two trollers went off, with two skipjack. It was pretty wide open after that, I even heard someone hooked a marlin but couldn’t land her. I’ve gotta say, there isn’t enough YouTube videos and reports in the report to prepare me for that chaos lol. It seemed like everyone was hookin up and lines were getting tangled everywhere. I tried my best to follow my bait(and thought I was doing a good job) but then some guy kinda let his bait go wild. While I’m trying to untangle his line from mine is when I get hooked up lol. I didn’t know what to do so I kept focusing on this tangle, then my skipjack went left smh. I finally untangle his line and now I’m trying to figure out how to get across 4 other guys on the stern. Amidst the chaos I’m kinda pointing my rod over a couple guys and some dude grabbed my rod, I assumed he was grabbing it to unwrap my line from his and I let go of mine, he wasn’t ready for that but luckily he didn’t drop it(NOT MY PROUDEST MOMENT). I finally get across everyone and the deckhand untangled our lines and I land my first skipjack soon after that! Soon after, the bite kinda dies off and the capt decides to move on in hunt for yf since we only caught skipjack. I think it wasn’t long after that, maybe 30 mins when the trollers went off again. More tangles on the stern lol. I got hooked into a big one pretty quickly. MAN this guy worked me lol. I did better this time following my fish, but I still got wrapped up on some guy using super light braid and he broke off. I honestly don’t think that one was on me but I still felt bad, he was pissed. This fish kinda pulled me around the back a few times, and I tried to fish him more aggressively but it wasn’t working, he’d run after every hard pull I got. Luckily the deckhand let me knew what I was doing wrong. In my attempt to fish harder, I was letting the fish turn his head after every pull which is why he was able to run. After smoothing out my pull and retrieve I landed him a few mins after that. I think only skipjack were pulled up on that stop too. We leave soon after and the stops weren’t as productive after that. I took that time to work on bait selection. The deckhand that I spoke to in the morning said I have a good eye for picking the good bait but I need to work on how I handle it, so that was my focus. Well that and following my bait/catch. Besides the landing of a fish, I don’t think there’s a better feeling then when you’re able to work together as folks are crossing eachother on the rail. Idk if that’s cuz I’m new and it’ll wear off but I was stoked when we were all able to communicate and keep the tangles to a minimum. Throughout the day people were still catching fish but not as much, well besides the seasoned guys(some pulled up like 6 or 7 if not more throughout the day) and only two yf, both on separate stops. There were only two stops I think where the capt announced that he saw tuna marks under the skipjack, I don’t think those were the stops that the two yf were pulled up though. Around two or three we started making our way back with a few stops in between but not very productive. It was a lot of driving throughout the whole day, but I appreciate what the cost was trying to do. He was really in the hunt for the yf but I guess it wasn’t our day. I also really appreciated the deckhands, they were super helpful. I’m terrible with names but I think it was Brian who helped me land that fish. And it was the taller deckhand who coached me on bait, and helped me with rigging in the morning. The capt was the younger one of the two captains that work the boat(or so I’m told).

Key takeaways:
    I’m hooked lol
    Learned a lot on bait selection/how to handle, and maybe I’ll try belly hooking next time
    Learned how to fish something bigger than a bass or croaker lol
    Getting more comfortable with conventional gear

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out on my previous post, and honestly everyone who contributes on here period. Two years ago I didn’t know a thing about fishing, and with all your help I still don’t know much lol, but I def know so much more than I ever would’ve thought! -jack

And sorry for not posting last night, I knocked out as soon as I got home! Luckily that skipjack is on ice, I’ll post some pics when I fillet them up.

2. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Oh and final counts were 61 skipjack and two yf

3. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Sounds like an awesome trip, great operation you were running with. Welcome to the good guy club. Tight lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,512
    Awesome man. I'm probably gonna hop on my first boat this next week to get some tuna.. Just gotta time it right.. Seems like the grande and san Diego have been producing the best recently for full days..

5. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    I wouldn’t mind trying the San Diego one day, I like the parking situation they have over there haha.

6. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Finally got around to cuttin them up. I could def use some practice, guess I’m gonna have to go out again soon haha. Had some sashimi tonight, pretty good with soy sauce. A lil surprised cuz I’ve read some not so great things about it. I’ll try searing some up tomorrow night. Also stoked on having a bunch of scraps for lobster bait!

193493CE-7ECB-43B9-BAE3-0E415F4DA2F3.jpeg

46734592-DC99-48A3-BD51-44A6BDF00ECB.jpeg

84B8298A-810B-4F02-97E7-344DEA6D5169.jpeg

34DDCA0B-DD2F-49BD-9266-33C1B6DBFA19.jpeg

7. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,512
    Looks delicious!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,964
    Nice detailed report. Great job out there man!

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,832
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Get em man.. welcome to the addiction..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1