Mission Belle 8/22/2019 YFT

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by kyle12345, Aug 24, 2019.

1. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Went out not the Belle and had a great time. As always, a great crew and captain made the day very enjoyable. The other passengers were pretty cool too and we worked together (although somebody did snip my lines for some reason as my rods were docked on the side, that was weird). The day was dominated by one really good stop in which we killed them, it was basically, 3 or 4 fish on at time for a few hours straight. We also hit a few more stops in which we got a few too.

They key that day was bait, I used a number 2 hook (mustard, nothing fancy) and 20lb test line the whole day, no flouro, just mono. It was a ton of fun and I ended the day with 5 YFT, 4 caught on bait and 1 on the diamond jig (on 50 lb test). Oh yeah the braid guys kept getting everyone tangled as they left the line really loose and I had to retie like 4 times, leave your braid at home!

I would also like to point out the reel I was using was an old Newell P220 and American Seeker rod, I left my bass gear at home and was able to kill these fish quicker then the guys with that gear. Although I suck at casting still, I was still glad I had this reel versus a spinner or bass reel, particularly when I hooked into a bigger sized tuna. See Werfless, I do listen to you. I would also like readers to note I got this reel for 90 bucks and the rod for 50, so you don't need to spend a ton of money to fish these guys, I really came to appreciate this old school gear...

IMG_0399-2 copy.jpg

2. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,116
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Deckhands will cut sinkers/jigs that are clanking against the boat, was that it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,404
    You listening to Werfless was the best thing you coulda done!

Your definitely can rip them in faster than a smaller spinner and Baitcaster if matched with a proper rod.

Yesterday, my son fell in love with my 20 year old TLD15 on a Black Steel 665 with 65lb braid with a Seagar 20lb Fluoro leader.....

Keep those lines tight! Well done!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,404
    PS - 2 thumbs up on going stealth on the photo.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    It was just hooks attached so I doubt it was the crew.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Eric
    Awesome man thanks for the informative post. Thinking of going after my first tuna soon here, seems like the mission belle has been fishing well

7. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    I think it's about time to jump the gun for me... Gotta catch some of these. Congrats on the tuna.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,748
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nicely done.. cool you got one on the jig too..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Great boat, I ask the deckies a ton of questions and come with a chill attitude and always learn a ton and have a great time.

10. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Nice fish kyle. Headed out on the premier in the am and the liberty on monday. 20-50 pound setups along with a stroller. Thanks for the Intel, tight lines

11. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,403
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Braid can fk off.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Drop me a line when you’re planning, I’m overdue myself.

Worked pretty much all weekend and have a pinched nerve to work through. I’m looking for an offshore trip to regulate things...

13. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,471
    Name:
    Ray
    Braid does not cause the tangle. Anglers not paying attention to their bait cause the tangles. Your bait will absolutely swim at its best when fishing braid over either straight mono or flouro.

#13 Capt Ray, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,403
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    FISH
    Braid may not tangle with the right user, but it still sucks when the boat is wfo and lines will get tangled from fish running.

I see this scenario play out more then any other and is the number one reason for fish lost... not like I work trips like that or anything.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,748
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I try to keep people informed.. the propaganda machine is ruthless ..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Not necessarily true....mono flows off your reel way better than braid when fishing a live bait. That advantage tends to out weight the smaller diameter of the braid if you are fishing your bait correctly. The smaller diameter thing is a valid argument...but definitely not absolutely the best for you bait to swim. I think its a wash between ease of pulling line off the reel and drag of line in the water. With that being a wash, the mono out performs braid once you come tight. This being of course strictly for offshore.

Fished yesterday and the boat had 27 tuna for 42 people...our crew of 7 caught 10 of those fish, all on 20/25# mono. Minus 1 popper fish.

The boat probably had double those numbers in hook ups, but there were a ton of pulled hooks when the fish got straight up and down....if you pay attention you will notice a lot of those situations are braid and rods not suited to the style of fishing.

There are people you see that have developed their style to fishing braid well in those situations...but they truly are a rare sight....and when they seem to be the hot stick it gets people thinking that is what they need to have....its just not the case.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Right on man!

I got mine yesterday on my P229 and Seeker American Series 270-8H....i was fishing 25# though. It was pretty slow overall, fished 20# for a bit and still wasn't getting bit, thought about changing my top shot out to 15#, then saw someone get worked on 15 for like 30 min got a 35# bluefin to color then pulled the hook....already had one in the bag and figured not worth it hah.

18. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,471
    Name:
    Ray
    Not like I have been fishing long range boats long before you where a gleam in your fathers eye. Guess what, long before we had braid we still had tangle.

If you don't like working tangles I would suggest you get off the deck and start chartering your own boat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. FISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +555
    I'm sure you see a lot more issues than you could take the time to post. What I've seen and had happen on the overnights and longer boat that I went on, was how STUPID people are. The night before or whenever the boat is getting ready to go the Captain will go over all the scenarios and how to behave, how to rig their set up, types of hook, size and most importantly how to behave when the fishing is wide open. As soon as the fishing starts it's like the Captain never said anything at all. It is a big reason I don't frequent party boats anymore. People are selfish and mostly STUPID! It's not the gear it's the IDIOT!

20. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,403
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I’m still working where I am for a reason lol, I enjoy it. As I said; there is no benefit to braid from my perspective... when the same long range captains you are referring to, potentially the exact same Captains from the 80s from what I am aware of are saying run mono... I’m going to stick to what they say. Brain K, Mike Lackey, Fred Huber, Steve P, Mike Gaskins... Alan Fey... all of them at the end of the day like to run mono. Peace

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List