Mission Point Tube Session with Kam

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,189
    Had a fun morning at Mission Point with Kam (Kam Walsh98). Met him there around 645am for a few hours of fun during an outgoing tide. Water clarity was unbelievable - to at least 8-10'. I don't think I've ever seen it so clear there. It's always great clarity at MP, but today was just insane.

Ran "Creek's Route" this morning; out to the yellow sign, back to the north into Mariners basin, flip around at the end of the moored boats, and back to the launch spot while dredging the ledge that runs the length of the beach.

Not sure how many Kam ended up with - 5 or 6 maybe? I know that I only took 3 - two Spots and a Mackerel that I had been watching as he busted a small baitfish ball. Kam took an interesting little foot-long Sculpin. I've never seen a Sculpin over 5" or so. First time for everything when fishing our bays !

On the kick back I took a couple of smallish grabs, but saw no love for either of them. About halfway through the final leg of the kick, I snagged something off the bottom. I know it had to be a snag because there was no feeling of the fly being chewed on. Anyway, out goes my line and into the backing. Kam is close by and he watches as I sit there like I'm not sure what to do. So I started backing up to chase it, reeling up line as I went Finally got close and it takes off again, but not too much. I made the choice to try and drag it over to the beach which was maybe 100' behind us. No problem. Ya, okay. I got it into shallow water, but still couldn't tell what it was. I know it was decent though because the dark shadow look like a slab of countertop. If I had to guess, I'd say I had butt-hooked a Ray. But again, I couldn't ID it.

So I get it close, and it takes off again - this time peeling line faster than anything I've ever had on the business end of my line. I got into maybe 30 or 40' of backing, then decided I wasn't willing to see my line get lost. So I added some slight pressure, and the fight was over. Didn't lose a fly over it, so that was a good thing. Having someone witness the chaos, priceless.

So that's it. The clouds had been dripping on us pretty much the entire session, but not too much. Totally worth the price of admission. Got Kam home in one, dry piece and made my way home to clean my gear.

Thanks Kam ! So glad we finally made it out. Please feel free to text me anytime you want to fish. As long as I'm not working, I'm in ! Next time, Spanish.

Enjoy a few pics.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,385
    It was a pleasure meeting and fishing with you, Mike. Thanks for sharing some of your expertise and for giving me a ride back. Next time we’ll get that ray haha. Here’s a photo I took of you fighting the beast and a close up of the sculpin. Slow day but for each slow day that means there’s a good one down the line!

77D47211-9D2E-4C19-931B-AD5AE1BEA9C7.jpeg

90609B07-501B-4A72-9091-858915C2A4B8.jpeg

3. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    That’s great! One big hookup like that makes the entire outing feel amazing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,189
    :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:.. and that's EXACTLY what it felt like - except it was hauling azzzzz !!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,684
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Some big pelagic rays in mariners for sure.. Sharks too, much larger than might be supposed..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,787
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo